Car hire and British Driving Licence

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Car hire and British Driving Licence

Post by Lanark Lass »

From June 8th the paper part of a British Driving licence becomes obsolete so holders wishing to hire a car abroad will have to apply for a passcode before hire. This code is only valid for 72 hours.Could this affect you or your guests?[/b]
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

You know there is a government office someplace in England (I think it is in Wandsworth). It employs over 200 civil servants and its sole function is to think of ways of making things difficult for everyone. This is a classic, seemingly innoccous, but will ruin the holidays of thousands of UK citizens, they must be twitching with gleeful anticipation.
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

Does anyone know the situation for Brits hiring in UK with UK licence
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

The only time I've ever been asked for the paper part of the licence was when hiring within the UK - in France and in Spain, it's never been asked for, as far as I can recall.
Colin L

Re: Car hire and British Driving Licence

Post by Colin L »

Lanark Lass wrote:From June 8th the paper part of a British Driving licence becomes obsolete so holders wishing to hire a car abroad will have to apply for a passcode before hire. This code is only valid for 72 hours.Could this affect you or your guests?[/b]
Apply to whom?
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

What if you do not have a computer and have no idea how to operate one? What if the computer has crashed at home and you have no access to internet facilities. What if the car hire system has crashed on the day you arrive or come to that the DVLA system. :?:
Dylan
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

What about Brits living abroad do they have to get a code when returning to UK and hiring a car. Many problems ahead
Dylan
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

I read on the DVLA site that the old paper-only licence which has a record of penalty points will still be valid. This is what I still have (excluding penalty points of course). So presumably I can hire a car as always.

However, one day I will want to exchange my UK licence for a French one, and for that I need a UK photo-card licence, or so I read on gouv.fr so unless anyone knows different, I must sooner or later apply for a UK photo-card licence (and perhaps also hang on to my old paper one)

Hopefully by then DVLA will have sorted themselves out
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

If you have the old original paper licence Sue and no Card ID then yes it is still valid. It is people like me who have the card ID + paper licence that are affected. They are doing away with our paper licence leaving just the Card ID. All our points (if any) will then be stored on a computer hence the need for a code when hiring a car.
Dylan
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lanark Lass »

Even with an old paper licence a code from the DVLA is required. This is because any penalty points incurred in fuure will not be recorded on the old licence document - only the computer database will be updated. So....anyone looking att your paper licence will not know whether you have any more points o your name.