2 train questions

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

2 train questions

Post by sue and paul »

1 Is 5 minutes enough time to change trains at Perp off Argeles train and onto Montpellier train? eg is it the same platform?
2 Is there a decent place to get some light lunch at gare Montpellier St Roch ?
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

We usually get a through train from Port Vendres to Montpellier which goes through Argeles, avoiding any problems with connections.

If you are flying from Montpellier, you might wish to get the tram from the station and eat in one of several restaurants in Antigone which are within a few minutes of where the navette departs for the airport.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Thanks Alan. There is a train an hour earlier which is direct to Montpellier, so we will probably get that. Then we have a couple of hours lunchtime to kill at Montpellier station before getting the TGV-ouigo to Marne-la-Vallée. So if there are dining facilities at or near Montpellier St Roch it would be a good option
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

You should have plenty of time then to get a meal. The railway station is quite central and there are a number of restaurants on the road which leads to the Place de la Comédie
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

5 mins is pushing it.

Yes there are a number of places to eat withing reach of the station. It's not the best bit of Montpellier but 10 mins walk gets you into to the zone.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Thank you. We have booked the earlier, direct, train to Montpellier. Then we will have about 2 hours to find some lunch and present ourselves 30 mins before departure for our ouigo TGV
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

Expect an enormous crush to get onto the Ouigo. They control tickets before you get on the platform.

There is a perfectly good cafe opposite the station and opposite that is a MickeyD. Down the main road there is a nice restaurant offering superior steak and chips.

I was thinking of parking at Argeles when I take the Ouigo but,like you, I was a bit worried about the changeover time. I am a poor walker. Although logic says it will be exactly the same train. I have arrived on a train stopping in Perpignan and voyagers to Argeles have been told to stay on the same train.

Pearson
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Thanks Pearsonb. We're not very accustomed to train travel, and as we don't want any hiccups, we'll be getting the direct train from Argelès to Montpellier at 09.58. I did wonder if the 10.58, changing at Perpignan in 5 minutes, was actually the same train, but we're not chancing it. It will be easy to kill time over lunch in Montpellier, ready for the ouigo up to Marne La Vallée