Perpignan and Carcassonne airports.

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Still nothing into the south west either. Bristol would be good especially in the winter months.
Dylan
kenny
Rank 3
Rank 3

updates

Post by kenny »

Thanks dimidu66 for posting these updates
Karrie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Flights to Perpignan

Post by Karrie »

The South west is in need too. We used to have Bournemouth Girona all year round, which by car from Girona is only an hour to Perpignan. If only an airline would reinstate that or even better operate on a regular basis from Bournemouth or increase the Southampton route to all year round.

Someone mentioned the route via Paris, which is a good route for those in the London and South of England area, but the HOP part of the route is unbelievably expensive an so with a change of plane at Paris, probably puts a lot of people off, especially when travelling with a family.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I think the idea of Paris is that you get the train from there. But where on earth is Bournemouth?
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

If I wanted to get to the Bournemouth area I would be quite happy to fly Carcassonne to Stansted in winter and Perpignan Stansted in the summer as it is only a 2hr 30 drive. There is nothing at all to Bristol in the winter and in summer it is either Beziers or Gerona. Sometimes I fly to Birmingham but there are no flights in winter and in the U.K. It means a 3 hr 30 drive to Devon.
Dylan
john_d
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by john_d »

I'm very encouraged by the recent developments - thank you to Dimi for your input. As to the London City (or elsewhere) to Orly then Hop!, I can't agree that the Hop fares are high. Over the last 2 years or so I have consistently paid a standard 59 - 62 euros per person per flight - not my idea of expensive - and unlike some other carriers one could mention the fares don't treble (and then some) every time there's a UK school holiday, not to mention Ryanair from Stansted leaving at stupid-o-clock in the morning necessitating an hotel stay or not bothering to go to bed the previous night. The main problem with this route is access to an Orly flight if you're not based near London (I am so I'm fine) and BA/Cityjet from London City can be expensive if you don't have any flexibility. I have always found Hop! very good and usually much cheaper than the train.
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Dear All,

Thank you for your messages!

2 days remaining for the current Flybe's promotion! You can book tickets on the new route from Perpignan to London Southend from 60€ return only! Some other tickets are available from 73€ return. The route is launched at the initiative of Stobart Air, and the flights will be operated and sold by Flybe, each Thursday & Sunday from 25-MAY-17 to 24-SEPT-17.

Schedules (local time)
Thursday (25MAY17-21SEP17)

BE6110 London Southend : 1200 --> Perpignan : 1455
BE6111 Perpignan : 1540 --> London Southend : 1645

Sunday (28MAY17-24SEP17)

BE6110 London Southend : 1850 --> Perpignan : 2145
BE6111 Perpignan : 2220 --> London Southend : 2325

As you see, the schedules are very adapted for a long-weekend for both sides with a late Sunday flight. And for the ones who don't like to wake up too early like me :) , you have now the choice between Stansted (Ryanair) or Southend (Flybe / Stobart).
Please note there is a chance that the route becomes year-round, so if you're interested by such a possibility, book from now as much flights as needed and show to Stobart & Flybe that the market can largely support 2 flights/week in Summer, but also 2 flights/week in Winter!

Here you have the last update (January, 9th) with a recap of all flights on sale from/to Carcassonne & Perpignan for Winter 2016/2017 & Summer 2017.

Carcassonne :
5 routes in Winter 2016/2017 :

Ryanair -> London-Stansted 3 flights/week Tue/Thu/Sat,
Ryanair -> Dublin 2 flights/week Fri/Sun,
Ryanair -> Manchester 2 flights/week Mon/Fri,
Ryanair -> Brussels-Charleroi 6 flights/week everyday except Wed Additional frequencies on all routes excepted Manchester available for X-Mas holidays
Atlas Atlantique Airlines -> Oran 1 flight/week Sun.

9 routes in Summer 2017 :
Ryanair -> London-Stansted 7 flights/week up to 10 weekly in August,
Ryanair -> Dublin 3 flights/week Tue/Thu/Sat up to 5 weekly in June&July Tue/Wed/Thu/Sat/Sun,
Ryanair -> East-Midlands 3 fligths/week Mon/Wed/Fri,
Ryanair -> Manchester 2 flights/week Mon/Fri up to 3 weekly from May to September Mon/Wed/Fri,
Ryanair -> Glasgow 2 flights/week Wed/Sat,
Ryanair -> Cork 2 flights/week Wed/Sun in June/July/August
Ryanair -> Brussels-Charleroi 7 flights/week up to 8 weekly in July/August
Ryanair -> Porto 2 flights/week Wed/Sun,

Perpignan :
2 routes in Winter 2016/2017 :

Air France / HOP! -> Paris-Orly 3 to 4 flights/day
Ryanair -> Brussels-Charleroi 2 flights/week Tue/Sat.

11 routes in Summer 2017 :
Air France / HOP! -> Paris-Orly 4 flights/day
Flybe (op. by Stobart) -> London-Southend NEW 2 flights/week Thu/Sun from May, 25th
Ryanair -> London-Stansted 4 flights/week Tue/Thu/Sat/Sun up to 8 weekly in August
Ryanair -> Birmingham 2 flights/week Tue/Sat NEW flights to Birmingham will be operated through the whole Summer from March, 28th to October, 28th 2017
Aer Lingus -> Dublin 4 flights/week Tue/Thu/Sat/Sun from April, 25th 2017
Flybe -> Southampton 1 flight/week Sat from May, 28th to September, 3th 2017
Ryanair -> Brussels-Charleroi 3 flights/week Tue/Thu/Sat
Volotea -> Nantes 2 flights/week Mon/Fri from April, 7th 2017
Air France / HOP! -> Nantes 1 flight/week Sat from June, 24th
Chalair Aviation -> Ajaccio 1 flight/week Sat from May, 13th 2017
Chalair Aviation -> Limoges NEW 1 flight/week Sun from May, 14th 2017
Chalair Aviation -> Metz/Nancy 1 flight/week Sun from May, 14th 2017

I will keep you updated once other routes are on sale.

Please note that Ryanair has already released the flights for Winter 2017/2018!

Regards,
Dimitri
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Dear All,

Concerning the chances to get a year-round service with Flybe/Stobart on London-Southend to Perpignan route, the airline is interested to know the likely business relations that can exist between both cities.

So here is a little survey to quantify the business demand :

Do you personally work for a company where you need to travel often between Perpignan & London?

Do you know any company that has business in both cities and an interest for a year-round service?

Your help will be very important in order to reinforce the business case and please let me know if you have useful information about it. Many thanks!

Best regards,
Dimitri
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Dear All,

Please find the last update for Carcassonne & Perpignan Airport Summer 2017 and Winter 2017/2018 schedules :

NEW ROUTES :
Carcassonne <-> Edinburgh with Ryanair. 2 flights/week (Tue/Sat) from 31-OCT-17,
Perpignan <-> London-Southend with Flybe. 2 flights/week (Thu/Sun) from 25-MAY-17,
Perpignan <-> Marrakesh with Ryanair. 3 flights/week (Tue/Thu/Sat) from 31-OCT-17,
Carcassonne <-> Porto with Ryanair will be extended for the first time through Winter 17/18, still with 2 flights/week (Wed/Sun).

Carcassonne :
9 routes in Summer 2017 :
Ryanair -> London-Stansted 7 flights/week (Apr/May/Jun), 9 flights/week (Jul/Sep/Oct) up to 12 weekly in August,
Ryanair -> Dublin 3 flights/week Tue/Thu/Sat up to 5 weekly in June&July Tue/Wed/Thu/Sat/Sun,
Ryanair -> East-Midlands 3 fligths/week Mon/Wed/Fri,
Ryanair -> Manchester 2 flights/week Mon/Fri up to 3 weekly from May to September Mon/Wed/Fri,
Ryanair -> Glasgow 2 flights/week Wed/Sat,
Ryanair -> Cork 2 flights/week Wed/Sun in June/July/August,
Ryanair -> Brussels-Charleroi 7 flights/week up to 8 weekly in July/August,
Ryanair -> Porto 2 flights/week Wed/Sun,

7 routes in Winter 2017/2018 :
Ryanair -> London-Stansted 3 flights/week Tue/Thu/Sat,
Ryanair -> Dublin 2 flights/week Fri/Sun,
Ryanair -> Manchester 2 flights/week Mon/Fri,
Ryanair -> Brussels-Charleroi 5 flights/week everyday except Wed/Sun,
Ryanair -> Porto 2 flights/week Wed/Sun NEW the route will be extended in Winter for the first time,
Ryanair -> Edinburgh 2 flights/week (Tue/Sat) NEW from 31-OCT-17,

Perpignan :
12 routes in Summer 2017 :
Air France / HOP! -> Paris-Orly 4 flights/day,
Flybe (op. by Stobart) -> London-Southend NEW 2 flights/week Thu/Sun from May, 25th,
Ryanair -> London-Stansted 4 flights/week Tue/Thu/Sat/Sun, 5 weekly in Jul/Sept/Oct, up to 9 weekly in August,
Ryanair -> Birmingham 2 flights/week Tue/Sat NEW flights to Birmingham will be extended and operated from March, 28th to October, 28th 2017,
Aer Lingus -> Dublin 4 flights/week Tue/Thu/Sat/Sun from April, 25th 2017,
Flybe -> Southampton 1 flight/week Sat from May, 28th to September, 30th 2017,
Ryanair -> Brussels-Charleroi 3 flights/week Tue/Thu/Sat,
Volotea -> Nantes 2 flights/week Mon/Fri from April, 7th 2017,
Air France / HOP! -> Nantes 1 flight/week Sat from June, 24th,
Air France / HOP! -> Lille 1 flight/week Sat from June, 24th,
Chalair Aviation -> Ajaccio 1 flight/week Sat from May, 13th 2017,
Chalair Aviation -> Limoges NEW 1 flight/week Sun from July, 2nd 2017,
Chalair Aviation -> Metz/Nancy 1 flight/week Sun from July, 2nd 2017.

3 routes in Winter 2017/2018 :
Air France / HOP! -> Paris-Orly 3 to 4 flights/day,
Ryanair -> Brussels-Charleroi 2 flights/week Tue/Sat,
Ryanair -> Marrakesh NEW 3 flights/week Tue/Thu/Sat from October, 31st.

I will keep you updated once other routes are on sale.

Regards,
Dimitri
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Dear All,

I'm pleased to confirm a new promotionnal campaign on London Southend - Perpignan route with Flybe. There is currently 20% off for all flights until Sunday, 2nd April. Visit www.flybe.com for more information!

You can currently book tickets London Southend - Perpignan from 48.67€ return.
If you book tickets Perpignan - London Southend, you can get them from 39.99€ return.

If you know people who would like to take inaugural flight from Perpignan to London Southend on Thursday 25th May, one way flight is available from 19.99€ !!! We will prepare a beautiful event with a great water arch to celebrate the launch of the new service.

P.S. : the decision for keeping or not the route in Winter is currently being evaluated. If you have tickets to book, it's now or never if you want to make sure to have an opportunity to link London with Perpignan in Winter with reasonnable fares! A huge thank you for your support, it's much appreciated by all our team. We look forward to welcoming you soon in our brand new Perpignan Airport!

All the best,
Dimitri
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Dimitri

We would like to book two tickets for the inaugural flight but I cannot find it on the Flybe site . Is it because we are looking at it from England?

Cheers
John
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Found it thanks.

My error.
John
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Hi John, sorry I didn't see your message earlier.

So I look forward to welcoming you and your wife for the inaugural flight!

I have noticed the discounted tickets are still available on flybe.com

The current minimum fares are :
from 38.79€ return : from Perpignan to London Southend
from 50.00€ return : from London Southend to Perpignan

from 19.81€ one way : from Perpignan to London Southend
from 24.71€ one way : from London Southend to Perpignan

Best regards,
Dimitri
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Dear All,

Just to inform you that Flybe/Stobart are releasing again seats with huge discounts on London Southend - Perpignan new route!!!

from 31.99€ return : from Perpignan to London Southend
from 40.27€ return : from London Southend to Perpignan

Many flights are currently available at that fare but they might be sold quickly! Hurry up -> www.flybe.com

Best regards,
Dimitri
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

dimidu66 wrote:Dear All,

Just to inform you that Flybe/Stobart are releasing again seats with huge discounts on London Southend - Perpignan new route!!!

Many flights are currently available at that fare but they might be sold quickly! Hurry up -> www.flybe.com

Best regards,
Dimitri
This does seem to be outrageously good value for an airport with an airport station which is less than an hour from Liverpool Street. And as Allan has said, probably much easier to negotiate than the "legacy" airports (how long do you take to central London, from touchdown, anywhere else?). Fill your boots. I have just booked a return flight (01/06 to 04/06) for €41.48, which is quite absurd, given the passenger duty they have to pay.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

martyn94 wrote:
dimidu66 wrote:Dear All,

Best regards,
Dimitri
I did this flight over the last few days. The good news is that it was cheap, and both Perpignan and Southend airport were easy to get to, and through, and leave from. The train from/to Southend to London was unglamorous, and slow, and absurdly expensive (in the UK manner) but quite convenient for where I needed to be (I changed at Stratford) and the airport station was just a step from the terminal, and the trains very frequent: as Allan has commented, small airports can save you more through speed of transit (and just lesser aggravation) than you seem to lose by the location.

As of 1950 last night, I would have given it a guarded welcome. But both flights were delayed:outbound for 20 minutes for no reason given, and inbound for 105 minutes because their incoming flight from Perpignan was late arriving. That always infuriates me: it is hardly even an explanation, let alone an excuse.

I can't generalise from that experience, except for the general principle that it's better to catch short-turn-round budget airlines earlier in the day, rather than later, if you have the choice. But I left with a poor opinion of the airline and the airports.

More generally, my trip to London served its purposes, and was not without overpriced pleasures. But I thank my stars that once every few years is enough.
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Dear All,

I hope that you are enjoying your summer holidays! Just a little flight report about the new Perpignan - London Southend with Stobart/Flybe as I tried it for the first time. I flew from Perpignan to London Southend on Thursday 22nd June and flight back on Sunday 25th June.

I was used to fly before to London Stansted with Ryanair and I have to admit that the size of Southend Airport has nothing to see with Stansted! It was great to disembark from the aircraft and be outside of the airport in about 15 min. It would have been faster if I didn't have a luggage in the hold. Customs controls were very fast (it took me only 2 min.). The airport is very well connected with the city centre with trains every 10 to 20 minutes. For the flight back to Perpignan, I passed the secutiry controls in less than 10 min. and I found their system in Southend quite original and fast.

This new route is very convenient and Southend Airport really deserves to be more renowned for its practical and fast services!

Unfortunately the airline is not planning to maintain the route for Winter 2017/2018, but depending on the average performances for this summer, they could consider to keep the route for Summer 2018 with an extended period, or they could also decide to cut it if they are not satisfied by the their performances for this first season.
That's why we really count on you to take this flight when it's possible for you and if it represents an advantage compared to the flights to Stansted. You can compare the prices, Ryanair is sometimes cheaper but Flybe is also cheaper than Ryanair at several dates as the route is not very famous yet! It's worth comparing both anyway.

Information & bookings -> www.flybe.com

Don't hesitate to share your experience on this new route like Martyn94.

All the best,
Dimitri
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Hi everyone!

I hope you're enjoying summer in the region, or that you will have a taste of it soon. I just wanted to let you know that we've had a meeting with Stobart a few days ago. They have launched the sales for their routes from London Southend for Summer 2018.

Unfortunately Perpignan is not part of it yet because we could improve the performances. It doesn't mean they are planning not to operate it again, they are very aware that Ryanair has operated Perpignan-Stansted for 18 years now and that obviously there are consuming habits that need to be changed, they can't really fight on the prices even though you have probably seen that they were offering a very stimulating pricing strategy with one way fares from 19.99€! But what they can fight with is the product, I don't know if you all had a chance to try Southend Airport but it's just amazing and everything is so fast, between 10/15 min you can be off the plane, have your hold luggages and be waiting for your train in the station 50 meters away from the terminal. Even for the departure everything is very fast, especially with their security checks' system which I found very fast & efficient.

Basically, the message is clear : we have one month left to show Stobart that there is an interest for this route and that bookings volume can still increase well. We still have 2 flights/week (Thu/Sun) until September, 24th and from August, all the flights will be operated by the modern & comfortable Embraer 195 aircrafts. Also they have advanced the departure time for Sundays flights which will largely help to reduce any likely delay.
If we show to Stobart that we can make the difference, the route should go on sale again in late August for 2 flights/week and normally a longer operating season (late April to early October instead of late May to late September in 2017)

Please let us know if you already experienced this Perpignan-London Southend route and what is the feedback from your trip.

For people who would like to book a flight, please check on www.flybe.com

We thank you for your support!

Best regards,
Dimitri
kenny
Rank 3
Rank 3

Any delays for French (PO) airports reported ?

Post by kenny »

Any delays for French (PO) airports reported ?

I am particularly interested in Carcasonne airport

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... n-airports
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Hi Kenny,

Only one flight was delayed today, the one from Glasgow which was about 45 min late when landing in Carcassonne. If you want to check daily, I would advise you to visit flightradar -> https://www.flightradar24.com

You just have to click on the airport for which you want to see the arrival/departure information and the website is quite well informed usually. What's more if you didn't know it before, you might be very surprised to see how sky looks like an anthill! :)
kenny
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kenny »

Hi Dimidu66

I should have phrased my question better

Are there any security related delays for passengers at Carcasonne
(long security queues)

I will be travelling to Carcasonne from Dublin

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... n-airports

Thanks
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Hi Kenny, normally there should not be anymore delays like it used to be 1 month ago. As I explained to someone else who on another topic, the customs were using until about 2 weeks ago, 3 different systems in order to check the passports. They were using their own system, the one from border police and a governmental system, which was time-consuming.

Fortunately it appears that they have solved this problem now with a single system which is basically the merger of the 3 previous systems.

Main european airports are currently facing important delays because they don't have enough customs to check the passports most of the time...
ssyson
Rank 2
Rank 2

perpignan to northern england

Post by ssyson »

Dies anyone know it there are likely to be any flights from Perpignan to the North of England.Would recommend Tees Valley airport very little used and good foe Teesside, Durham and Newcastle.
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: perpignan to northern england

Post by rhys »

ssyson wrote:Dies anyone know it there are likely to be any flights from Perpignan to the North of England.Would recommend Tees Valley airport very little used and good foe Teesside, Durham and Newcastle.
SECONDED !!!
BT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Flights for 2018

Post by BT »

Hi, This is one for Dimidu66

Any word as to when the Aer Lingus flights will be available for booking? For 2017 they were up by this time in 2016.

Hopefully they will start earlier and end later in the year.

Regards

BT
kenny
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kenny »

dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Hi ssyson, Hi rhys,

We are evaluating several options for North of England and we are in talks with several carriers, but I have to admit that Durham Tees Valley is not really part of our targets for the moment, we are trying to get direct links with more obvious cities where our region will be easier to sale like Manchester, Liverpool, Edinburgh... We could consider more this option if there was a carrier having a strong position in Tees Valley Airport, but Flybe has an extremely limited presence, and Eastern Airways/Loganair don't operated the aircraft type that would correspond to a direct route to Perpignan at a reasonable price.

Hi BT,
I would advise you to visit Aer Lingus website from now :wink: they have released the flights from May 15th 2018 with 4 flights/week (Tue/Thu/Sat/Sun) and they will operate 5 flights/week in July/August. (extra freq on Wed).
Unfortunately it corresponds to a little reduction in terms of operational period (they started the flights from late April in 2017), but we are currently in talks with them to try to extend from mid-April with 2 flights/week until mid-May, I will let you know if we have positive news about it!

Finally I take the opportunity of writing this message in order to inform you that we will have a new direct service from Perpignan to Frankfurt starting on March 25th 2018 with 2 flights/week (Thu/Sun) operated by Ryanair!!

Best regards,
Dimitri
kenny
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kenny »

Thanks Dimitri for the update

Is there any possibility of Ryanair flights Dub to Perp
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

LEEDS / BRADFORD or NEWCASTLE ?

Post by rhys »

Bonjour Dimitri

Thank you for at least paying attention to suggestions on this Forum.

If Durham/Tees Valley is considered too 'out on a limb' well what about Leeds/Bradford or Newcastle ?

Both are very large cities with substantial populations in the hinterland.

Also, both are very very 'easy' airports to arrive at and transit through ( much more so than Manchester, for example, which now suffers from its size in terms of the travelling customer's experience) .

Have you thought about CREATING a market for a Perpignan ~ Durham / NCL / LBA link ? Quite apart from the potential for English travellers from the NorthEast to travel to Languedoc~Roussillon........... what about the potential for French locals to discover the enormous cultural riches and wide open spaces which the NorthEast of England offers........

A distinctive region which is little visited by foreigners ( or the English for that matter ). If it were better known I imagine there could be a lot of French who would be interested to give it a try. Maybe some joint marketing with the English Tourist Board ??
BT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Dublin Flight

Post by BT »

Dimitri,

The Saturday flight is at 5:50 in the morning!!!!!! I haven't checked the other day yet.

BT