Perpignan and Carcassonne airports.

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

BT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Perpignan Airport

Post by BT »

Hi Dimidu,

Travelled home from Perp on Thursday, I thought the airport looked very well, a cleaner could be seen making sure that all was well. The staff member at check-in was friendly & we were dealt with very quickly & efficiently. The air conditioning was working as expected.

I only issue I have is the WiFi, yes there are 2 signals however it wasn't posible to successfully connect to either. It wasn't that many others were connected, I didn't notice anyone else trying to log-on.

One other thing, the Sixt car-hire desk wasn't manned, there was a customer waiting to collect a vehicle. I appreciate that you work for the airport operator and not the car hire companies.

Further report to follow 3rd week of September.

Regards

BT
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Drop off area still not sorted. Cars are parked there. Dropped off on Saturday and had to stop in the middle of the road because no parking spaces ( and no drivers in the cars so not dropping off). Barrier system not up and running yet. Is there a pick up area somewhere?
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

We were told by the lady patrolling outside and moving traffic on that we had to pick up in the car park. There are still no decent sized signs indicating access to the car park.
Dylan
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

We came back today and had again a great experience, out of the plane and in the car in less than 15min. the airport is so small that the plane literally stops next to the carpark, just the security check in between.
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Dear All,

Good news (thanks to BT for his vigilance!) with Aer Lingus Dublin-Perpignan flights on sale for Summer 2017. The flights for Summer 2017 season will be back on Tuesday, 25th April with 4 flights/week (Tue/Thu/Sat/Sun).

Flights for Summer 2016 are still on sale and operated until October, 2nd on Tue/Thu/Sat x2/Sun
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

Sorry to report an unsatisfactory experience in the airport last Sunday evening. We arrived in the Aer Iingus flight on time at 4 35, flight was full approx. 180 people.
We tried to get a bus into Perpignan only to discover there was only one bus on Sunday afternoon @ 18 05 which meant a wait of one and a half hours.
There were approx. 30 to 40 people looking for a bus.
At the time there were only two taxis at the rank which were already taken.
We asked a taxi driver how much a taxi cost into Perpignan, his response was 20/25 Euro during the week but it could be anything on a Sunday, depends on the driver !!!!!
We went inside to have a beer while waiting for the bus to discover the one draught beer tap was out of order !!!!
We spoke to a lady on the information desk about the bus, she said this is a small town and its a Sunday. !!
I think its not too much to ask that there should be alignment between flight arrivals and buses into the city. !
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

Well I flew back to Dublin again yesterday 4th Sept and I will update my experiences at the Perpignan airport.
Firstly the new facilities look great, a vast improvement on what was there before. The people working there are also very friendly and helpful and the experience of getting through security and boarding is top class.
Getting to the airport is still an issue though especially on a Sunday.
The last No 7 bus from the city is at 14.11 arriving before 2.30 which is a full 3 hours before the Aer Lingus flight to Dublin, when we got there we found that the airport wifi did not work, the ladies at the informaion desk were very apologetic but seemed exasperated by the poor wifi connection.
My next big question is why are taxis in France so expensive ????
25 Euros for a 10 minute trip from town to the airport on a Sunday !!!!
This, in my experience is at least double what you would pay in any other country, I spoke with a lady in the airport who paid 85 Euros for a taxi from Argeles which took approx 25 minutes, I think most people would agree that is insanely high.
Can anybody throw any light on why taxi fares are so high ! I suppose the fact that there are almost no taxis to be seen on the streets tells its own story.
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

I'm a little surprised that nobody out there has commented or replied to my posts about my recent experiences at the airport, I'm not trying to be controversial , I'm just commenting on what I find as a kind of feedback in order to help improve services.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

redneckrover wrote:I'm a little surprised that nobody out there has commented or replied to my posts about my recent experiences at the airport, I'm not trying to be controversial , I'm just commenting on what I find as a kind of feedback in order to help improve services.
i don't know the detail round here. But in many (most/all?) parts of France the number of taxi licences is very strictly limited, so you take out an enormous loan (€200,000 plus in Paris) to buy out an outgoing driver. So the fares have to be humungous to re-imburse your loan. So nobody takes taxis on a casual basis if they can help it. So almost all your income comes from trips to and from hospital out-patient clinics re-imbursed by the secu and mutuelles. So there's no point in taxi-drivers working Sundays except for even more humungous fares. And so it goes round and around. I think the "loi Macron" was originally meant to chip away at this a tiny bit, but it proved too difficult, like much else.

Worth a look at Uber next time?
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

Also the fares are set by the government .
On top of that if you deduct 50% in social charges, the cost of fuel insurance
Licence wear and tear on the vehicle etc etc from the 25 euro trip he will be lucky to pocket 10 on a good day for what you describe as 10 min trip call it 20 min by the time he gets back to where he came from.
It would make the 9-5 hospital runs with waiting time included seem much more appealing .
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

interiors66 wrote:Also the fares are set by the government .
On top of that if you deduct 50% in social charges, the cost of fuel insurance
Licence wear and tear on the vehicle etc etc from the 25 euro trip he will be lucky to pocket 10 on a good day for what you describe as 10 min trip call it 20 min by the time he gets back to where he came from.
It would make the 9-5 hospital runs with waiting time included seem much more appealing .
i think we are agreeing with each other..
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

It sounds like deregulation of the taxi industry is long overdue !!!!!
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

redneckrover wrote:It sounds like deregulation of the taxi industry is long overdue !!!!!
No doubt so, in France as in many places. But the drivers don't want to go bust, and they have the capacity, and the will, to bring all traffic to a halt. Which is not unreasonable from their perspective: they didn't actually enact the mad system they are caught up in, much as it has suited them.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

650e 5 years ago to CHU Montpellier from Thuir.
8,30 pick up for 11am rdv, out by noon and home by 14h.

Never again. Use the car , charge for toll nd fuel usually about 70e.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

I dont think that many taxi drivers like the current system, especially with Ueber breathing down their necks.

I have not yet taken the bus as the timings have not aligned with the flight times, so take your point that there could be better alignment of navette and arrival/departure
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

I was talking to a friend of mine this morning and he said Ueber is now operating in Lyon, I'm not sure how widespread it is ??
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

redneckrover wrote:I was talking to a friend of mine this morning and he said Ueber is now operating in Lyon, I'm not sure how widespread it is ??
If you ever want to google it, or get the app, it's Uber, not Ueber. even in Germany.
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

Thanks for that, it never fails to amaze me the level of protectionism that still exists in France and I've been coming here for nearly 40 years !!!!
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

redneckrover wrote:Thanks for that, it never fails to amaze me the level of protectionism that still exists in France and I've been coming here for nearly 40 years !!!!
I think I agree as a general principle. But I think it's also fair to say that many other jurisdictions have got the regulation of taxis badly wrong (i'm familiar with the situation in Australia, but I imagine that there are others) and that once you do get it wrong it's very difficult to extricate yourself. Lots of people have made very large financial commitments to set up as taxi drivers (certainly a protected profession, but that's what the law said at the time). You either just confiscate the asset which generates their "economic rent", or else you buy them out. Neither are easy. Even less so because the taxi licences are often owned (certainly in Paris) by affluent third parties who rent them out (widows in Neuilly?) and who know how to make their voices heard.

Or else Uber etc come along idc with self-driving cars and make the whole business irrelevant. Which I guess is what will ultimately happen, but not without a great deal of aggravation and rearguard action.

The interesting thing, from memory, is that the really fatal mistake in Paris - making taxi licences transferable for cash - happened quite recently, and without anyone, apparently, bothering to think twice about the implications.
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

That situation happened in Dublin before deregulation, taxi licences were changing hands at 150 to 200 thousand Euros and no new licences were being issued.
Some people held multiple licences and rented them out.
As the population and commercial activity increased the need for taxis shot up.
At the time, I think late nineties, it was virtually impossible to get a taxi at nighttime in Dublin.
The government at the time bit the bullet and deregulated the service, they began to issue new licences, this of course caused consternation among the existing drivers and the owners of the valuable taxi plates.
Eventually it settled down and the plate value dropped to less than 10k.
The number of available taxis has dramatically increased and the service to the public is infinitely better, taxi prices, even in the cities are approx half the French prices.
The people who were hit the hardest were owners who borrowed money to buy plates at the inflated prices before deregulation.
However, it had to be done and the travelling public are the winners.
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Dear redneckover,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent experiences @ Perpignan airport. First of all, I'm really sorry to reply so late, I sent your first messages to our Quality manager and he replied to me quickly on last week, but I forgot to post his answer before.

Here is the reply from our Quality / Training Manager, Mr. Fiancette :
We apologize about the incident which happened to you upon your arrival at Perpignan airport in august 2016
For information, the bus system between the airport and the city centre is not managed by the airport. We also demand more adapted and increased frequencies corresponding with flight arrivals. We shall use your mail to boost our demand.
We will also pass on your feedback to the managers of the bar to ask them to make sure that their material is always working.
Please receive again our excuses for all the inconveniences. Sincere greetings
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

Thanks for your reply Dimidu66
I think the alignment of bus times with incoming flights is important.
I would say the situation where the draught beer tap wasn't working was probably a one off situation which could happen anywhere.
Having good WiFi is critical.
I would like to congratulate you on the improvements which have already been made at the airport and I'm confident the few remaining issues can be sorted out.
BT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Perpignan Airport

Post by BT »

Hi all,

Arrived Sunday afternoon on the Aer Lingus flight, all the work looks to be completed, Car-hire now back in main building. The airport looks very well.

Hopefully you will now be able to attract additional flights and also to extend timetables well into October.

Regards

BT
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Dear All,

Here you have a recap of all flights on sale from/to Carcassonne & Perpignan for Winter 2016/2017 & Summer 2017.

Carcassonne :
5 routes in Winter 2016/2017 :
Ryanair -> London-Stansted 3 flights/week Tue/Thu/Sat,
Ryanair -> Dublin 2 flights/week Fri/Sun,
Ryanair -> Manchester 2 flights/week Mon/Fri,
Ryanair -> Brussels-Charleroi 6 flights/week everyday except Wed Additional frequencies on all routes excepted Manchester available for X-Mas holidays
Atlas Atlantique Airlines -> Oran 1 flight/week Sun.

8 routes in Summer 2017 :
Ryanair -> London-Stansted 7 flights/week up to 10 weekly in August,
Ryanair -> Dublin 3 flights/week Tue/Thu/Sat up to 5 weekly in June&July Tue/Wed/Thu/Sat/Sun,
Ryanair -> East-Midlands 3 fligths/week Mon/Wed/Fri,
Ryanair -> Manchester 2 flights/week Mon/Fri up to 3 weekly from May to September Mon/Wed/Fri,
Ryanair -> Glasgow 2 flights/week Wed/Sat,
Ryanair -> Cork 2 flights/week Wed/Sun in June/July/August
Ryanair -> Brussels-Charleroi 7 flights/week up to 8 weekly in July/August
Ryanair -> Porto 2 flights/week Wed/Sun.

Perpignan :
2 routes in Winter 2016/2017 :
Air France / HOP! -> Paris-Orly 3 to 4 flights/day
Ryanair -> Brussels-Charleroi 2 flights/week Tue/Sat.

7 routes in Summer 2017 :
Air France / HOP! -> Paris-Orly 4 flights/day
Ryanair -> London-Stansted 4 flights/week Tue/Thu/Sat/Sun up to 8 weekly in August
Ryanair -> Birmingham 2 flights/week Tue/Sat NEW flights to Birmingham will be operated through the whole Summer from March, 28th to October, 28th 2017
Aer Lingus -> Dublin 4 flights/week Tue/Thu/Sat/Sun from April, 25th 2017
Flybe -> Southampton 1 flight/week Sat from May, 28th to September, 3th 2017
Ryanair -> Brussels-Charleroi 3 flights/week Tue/Thu/Sat
Volotea -> Nantes 2 flights/week Mon/Fri from April, 7th 2017

I will keep you updated once other routes are on sale.

Regards,
Dimitri
Last edited by dimidu66 on Fri 04 Nov 2016 10:59, edited 2 times in total.
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but I just wanted to comment very favourably on the new parking at Carcassonne airport - what a difference! Lots of space, slightly cheaper long stay parking in P3, plus access directly from the Mirepoix road (a plus for me as I come from that direction).

I've been put off using Carcassonne for several years now by the awful parking scrum so this is a great move forward. Well done.
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Dear Ariègeoise,
Thanks a lot for your positive feedback, your message will be passed on.
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Dear All,

Here you have the last update (November, 18th) with a recap of all flights on sale from/to Carcassonne & Perpignan for Winter 2016/2017 & Summer 2017.

Carcassonne :
Ryanair -> Brussels-Charleroi 6 flights/week everyday except Wed Additional frequencies on all routes excepted Manchester available for X-Mas holidays

Ryanair -> Dublin 3 flights/week Tue/Thu/Sat up to 5 weekly in June&July Tue/Wed/Thu/Sat/Sun,
Ryanair -> Manchester 2 flights/week Mon/Fri up to 3 weekly from May to September Mon/Wed/Fri,

Perpignan :

10 routes in Summer 2017 :
Ryanair -> London-Stansted 4 flights/week Tue/Thu/Sat/Sun up to 8 weekly in August
Ryanair -> Birmingham 2 flights/week Tue/Sat NEW flights to Birmingham will be operated through the whole Summer from March, 28th to October, 28th 2017
Chalair Aviation -> Ajaccio 1 flight/week Sat from May, 13th 2017
Chalair Aviation -> Limoges NEW 1 flight/week Sun from May, 14th 2017
Chalair Aviation -> Metz/Nancy 1 flight/week Sun from May, 14th 2017

Please note that Ryanair has already released the flights for Winter 2017/2018! Check now on their website to take advantage of cheap flights.

Regards,
Dimitri
GrahamC
Rank 4
Rank 4

LHR-ORL-PGN

Post by GrahamC »

I've just done the two-hops method flying BA from LHR to Orly and then on to Perp with Hop.

I have to say it all worked very smoothly. The transfer in Orly is all done in the same terminal, so it's a doddle. Its a couple of hour wait but really no hassle.
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Dear All,

I'm very pleased to announce a new route from Perpignan to London Southend in 2017! The route is launched at the initiative of Stobart Air, and the flights will be operated and sold by Flybe, each Thursday & Sunday from 25-MAY-17 to 24-SEPT-17.

Schedules (local time)
Thursday (25MAY17-21SEP17)

BE6110 London Southend : 1200 --> Perpignan : 1455
BE6111 Perpignan : 1540 --> London Southend : 1645

Sunday (28MAY17-24SEP17)

BE6110 London Southend : 1850 --> Perpignan : 2145
BE6111 Perpignan : 2220 --> London Southend : 2325

Flights are already on sale via www.flybe.com from 79.99€ / £ return !!! As you see, the schedules are very adapted for a long-weekend for both sides with a late Sunday flight. And for the ones who don't like to wake up too early like me :) , you have now the choice between Stansted (Ryanair) or Southend (Flybe / Stobart).
Please note there is a chance that the route becomes year-round, so if you're interested by such a possibility, book from now as much flights as needed and show to Stobart & Flybe that the market can largely support 2 flights/week in Summer, but also 2 flights/week in Winter!

Here you have the last update (December, 22nd) with a recap of all flights on sale from/to Carcassonne & Perpignan for Winter 2016/2017 & Summer 2017.

Carcassonne :

Perpignan :

11 routes in Summer 2017 :
Flybe (op. by Stobart) -> London-Southend NEW 2 flights/week Thu/Sun from May, 25th
Air France / HOP! -> Nantes 1 flight/week Sat from June, 24th
Chalair Aviation -> Ajaccio 1 flight/week Sat from May, 13th 2017
Chalair Aviation -> Limoges NEW 1 flight/week Sun from May, 14th 2017
Chalair Aviation -> Metz/Nancy 1 flight/week Sun from May, 14th 2017

Please note that Ryanair has already released the flights for Winter 2017/2018!

I wish you all a Merry Christmas & nice holidays!

Regards,
Dimitri
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Many thanks for this latest info about the Carcassonne and Perpignan flight options and news of the new route from Southend.

Whilst any new route into Perpignan is welcome, it just seems a shame that it's a new route which will serve the SE of England which already has Stansted - according to google maps, Southend airport and Stansted are only 37 miles apart! I suppose the new Southend operator is hoping to eat into the established Stansted -Perpignan summer market.

It just seems a shame that there are no options to fly direct to Perpignan from anywhere north of Birmingham - which from the perspective of someone in Scotland, is an awful long way south!

That said, I haven't flown into Perpignan since 2009, preferring to use the direct options from Glasgow/Edinburgh/Manchester to Carcassonne and Beziers (and, previously, Girona)