Perpignan and Carcassonne airports.

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

FWIW re: Stansted

Post by Owens88 »

Perhaps it is worth explaining why Stansted is useless for Midlanders and Northerners. It is not merely distance - it is the route. To get to it you have to pass a notoriously congested set of roads Camridge -Peterborough areas. So a journey that can be timed as 90 mins sould easily be 3 hours and therefore you have to allow that if catching or meeting a flight.

There is hardly even a public transport option. An infrequent cross country train calling at all Hamlets or into London and out again. Either way the journey time is twice what mere distance would suggest.

The Birmingham - Manchester - Leeds - Nottingham 'box' of airports serve a very, very, large UK population arguably a larger area from Lancaster to Bristol to Coventry to York. Consistent, competitive, services from Perpignan would be welcomed.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Lesly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Perpignan airport

Post by Lesly »

Now that Ryaniar seem to have deserted Gerona we would love a flight from Leeds to Perpignan please!
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

perpignan airport

Post by monsans »

I find it a bit bezare that there are few north of England flights when Lancaster /Perpignan was one of the first twins in this area to be established. Perhaps this connection could be put to better use to establish more flight connections all year round.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Leeds Bradford is a great airport as it has non congested access from everywhere...only downside is its hill top location, making for 'interesting' Landings!!! At least it has a good long Runway!!
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Perpignan And Carcassonne

Post by Lanark Lass »

Any news yet re increasing flights to these airports?
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lanark Lass »

So.....after lots of people suggesting routes for a better service to this part of the world things are going to ge worse with the demise of the Stansted winter link the time of flight from the UK which is not ideal but better than nothing.

Train service to the UK via Lille used to be a useful alternative but that has gone now too - one has to go via Paris and change stations. Not so handy with luggage and/or children.

Travel in general getting more difficult unless one drives.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

There is a flight out of Perpignan airport (I am guessing HOP) to Lille in the summer months.
Dylan
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lanark Lass »

Sorry Sue, I was referring to the rail connection as an alternative to the lost flights.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I was giving you an alternative way to Lille. Talk about crossed wires. :D :lol: :roll:
Dylan
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lanark Lass »

I was talking about all year travel opportunities - important for this area, particularly if Sansted-Perpignan flights go.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Regarding the Train to UK there is now an intriguing option involving Ouigi and the disneyland station. However I tried the timetable combinations and they seemed to force us into an overnight at Disneyland. I am sure your kids would hate that :)

I hadn't realised that the Lille interchange had been removed as an option :(

My big downer at the moment is that having got a TGV ticket from Perpignan to London for £58 It will cost £58.50 to then do a short trip to Loughborough !
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
BT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Perpignan Airport Upgrade

Post by BT »

Hi,

Has anyone flown into or out of Perpignan since the upgrade? Just wondering how the upgrade has turned out.

Regards

BT
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

They are still working on it BT.
Dylan
BT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BT »

Thanks Sue, I hope they are finished by the 27th June!

BT
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I assume you were taling about the building works. If so it doesn't seem to be causing much, if any, disruption.
Dylan
BT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BT »

Correct.

It wasn't so bad arriving it was the departure area that seemed to cause more issues. The loos left something to be desired.

Anyway I am looking forward to seeing the improvements in late June and again in September :)

BT
BT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Airport progress

Post by BT »

Thanks for the update, I will get to see the results in just under 6 weeks!

Regards

BT
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

The toilets are now finished. They are still located down the staircase but can also be accessed by a lift.
They are well appointed and modern.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

There's a full update by John Fairclough in the next P-O Life, hopefully out by the beginning of June IF all goes to plan. :roll:
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Perpignan Airport

Post by Rose »

I flew out from Perpignan airport last Sunday evening. Yes, the loos are still in the basement but they are refurbished and I was able to take a lift to them. I was also able to buy a 25cl bottle of Cotes de Rhone and drink it outside with a couple of cigarettes.

The people at the information desk helped me to find the cheapest 'abonnement' for the next 6 weeks for parking. They went out of their way to be helpful and smiled. I also try to be the last person in the queue to go through security. I went directly to the priorioty boarding and although we were herded like sheep to the outside boarding pen it wasn't too much of a problem. I have been in worse situations in other airports. Arrived 15 mins. early at Stansted.

Not much to complain about at either airport, except perhaps the long walk from the plane to security at Stansted.
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Dear All,

As you probably have seen on another topic, Aer Lingus has added 4 flights from September, 15th to September, 26th. It's a test for us to see if they can extend the season by next year!

One way tickets are available from 49€ on http://www.aerlingus.com/

We are still working to maintain the Perpignan-London flights for next winter season, I would like to thank all of you who wrote to me, your comments have been passed on to several airlines in UK. Should the situation change soon, I will let you know.

All the best,
Dimitri
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

Has anyone any news about when Ryanair will decide/tell us whether they are running a winter route between Stansted and Perpignan this year?
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

As far as I am aware there are none.
Dylan
Geoman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Geoman »

They still have not released all there Glasgow winter flights so they won't even say if Glasgow Girona will operate!!!!
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

rogb wrote:Has anyone any news about when Ryanair will decide/tell us whether they are running a winter route between Stansted and Perpignan this year?
I looked ahead to December and there are flights listed for Stansted to Barcelona El Prat, there's nothing for Perpignan.
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Looks like it's Stansted - Carcassonne (three flights a week) this winter, with nothing to Perpignan.

Though, when looking for options travelling from Scotland, I discovered that flying from Carcassonne to either Dublin or Brussels Charleroi with flights on to Edinburgh or Glasgow, might be a better option than changing at Stansted.

Last winter Glasgow Prestwick to Girona was a great option, but sadly, no sign of it this year. The only feasible direct option from Scotland this winter seems to be Edinburgh to Barcelona.
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

There are also two flights a week between Luton and Beziers this winter. I haven't checked whether they connect at Luton with flights to/from Scotland.
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Hmm - it looks as if the Beziers -Luton flight gets in too late to make a connection on to Easyjet. It would require an overnight.

But it's certainly another option for the outward journey though.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Perpignan to the U.K. Winter 2015/16

Post by Smiley G »

Kate, Is there any chance of finding out from dimidu66 what's actually happening at Perpignan after Nov. 3rd?
Ryanair seems to have pulled Stansted to Perpignan and Girona- Barcelona after November 3rd (end of U.K. Half-Term) leaving only Carcassonne & Barcelona El Prat with a route to London Stansted over Winter.