LONG TERM PARKING CARCASSONNE

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

LONG TERM PARKING CARCASSONNE

Post by Steve&Julie »

Hi
We are driving down from the UK at Christmas :-) and want to leave our car at the airport from mid January. The airport won't take advance car park bookings over he phone or on-line and the only assurance I can get is "there shouldn't be a problem". Obviously we don't want to make the trip unless we are sure we have somewhere to park it.
I don't know the airport. Is this a realistic assurance?
Can anyone suggest any other long term (3 month) parking facilities within a few kms or a taxi ride of the airport?
Thanks
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I am going to carcasonne airport on Saturday, I will look around and see what the availability looks like.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I have left my car there a dozen times, never booked, and never had a problem....tho you might sometimes have to go to the far end of the carpark to find a space. Make sure you turn into the right hand carpark. The first time I left my car there I went into the main carpark on the left (right opposite the airport doors so more convenient bien sûr) but it cost me nearly three times what I paid in the one on the right.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Do you know if that is the same at Beziers. I always leave my car in the car park right in front of departures and arrivals. Would the car park a little further on be cheaper?
Dylan
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

We parked long-term at Carcassonne airport last winter and always found a space. Kate rightly says that you're better off heading for the right hand area (looked at from the terminal).

At Beziers airport, which we used this summer, you have to choose which car-park your long-term parking card will apply to. Again, it's probably best to go for the right-hand park, furthest from the terminal, where you're more likely to find a space. Also the car-park nearest the terminal is used for free drop-offs etc as well as long-term, and so the risk of dents from other cars coming and going is higher.
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

In our village we have an informal network and drive one another to and from the airports, Never failed yet. Don't you have something similar?

Mary
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I use the airport transport section of the forum, either no one needs to go to the airport when I am going or I am using the wrong deoderant :lol:
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

P4. at Carcassonne is 'Free'. IT is however not ' Secure' i have left my car there twice for 1 week at a time but maybe any longer.....might be a risk. also my car was a pretty old Banger. i accessed it from the Hirecar area. ( Drive past!!)
Last edited by montgolfiere on Sun 23 Nov 2014 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Steve&Julie »

There's not enough international commuters to make a local co-operative workable where we are. We are in a very small and remote village.

The airport person I spoke with didn't really inspire me with much confidence.
It was difficult to tell if "there shouldn't be a problem" meant "there probably will be a problem but I'm not going to tell you that", or "I'm 99.9% sure it will be OK but I'm not allowed to make promises."

We parked at Aparkivoli at Girona last year and this worked great. We could come and go whenever we liked and if the car-park was 'full', we would leave the car just inside the gate and the attendant would park it when the next space came available. They would wash it for us, offer to re-inflate the flat tyre they had noticed - all without charge, and they even rounded up our refund on the part month when we shortened the contract.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

well I did 2 tours of the car park today, not a place to be had!
The roundabout as you exit the airport had the right hand turn blocked off ......I wanted to get to the end of the runway to await the plane landing.
I am going again on Tuesday, this time I will have more time to look round, let you know what I think.
Debeneur.
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

As a PS regarding Beziers airport parking, we arrived off the Luton flight yesterday evening and found our car had three windows totally smashed. Someone had taped some black plastic sheets over the holes. At least 5 other vehicles parked close by had suffered a similar fate. All were some way away from the terminal in P2. We couldn't see any damaged cars in P1.

The information desk was helpful, but unconvincingly blamed a hailstorm during the rain last Friday night rather than vandals.

Still the risk is always there and it's the first time we've had any such problem in 9 years of parking at airports around the area.
Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Steve&Julie »

Just a follow-up:
  • Getting a 3 month season ticket was easy.
    There were no problem finding a car park space at the time (off season).
    Parking contracts are issued from the enquiry desk on first arrival.
    Credit card payments are accepted
    It is not possible to pre-book by phone or email.
    An auto-expiring plastic card is issued for use in any of the car park barriers.
    If we had parked in the car park itself before obtaining the card, we would have needed to exit and re-enter using the card.
    There are no restrictions on leaving and re-entering.
    There is no particular car park security.
    There are no facilities for assistance with flat tyres or batteries.
I hope this helps someone else.
esarnaqer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by esarnaqer »

Thanks for these. It looks very useful.

Last edited by esarnaqer on Tue 10 Mar 2015 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
GrahamC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GrahamC »

There doesn't need to be any problem in dealing with flat tyres and batteries.

The Antigravity Micro Start PPS is a palm sized charger which you can leave in the car or carry with you on the plane. Its good for about 20 starts when connected to the car battery.

Once the engine is going then an inexpensive 12v pump will sort the tyres.