insuring a uk car with French residence

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

insuring a uk car with French residence

Post by sue and paul »

We live full time in France with no uk address. Our son in England would like to lend us a car for our visits there. He can't get us added to his insurance as we live here. Does anyone know if we can get insurance here for it, to drive in England? We're clean-living with good long driving record (keep quiet, Kate :lol: ) and clean licences
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Unless there has been a drastic change in the past few years, I don't understand why your son cannot add you to his ins. we live in France full time, no uk address , but I frequently went to stay with my late dad and used his car for years. He was with Swinton but not sure who was the underwriter (cannot remember) I was named on his policy for about 40.00 GBP.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

He's been told it's because we can't show that we are UK residents with e.g. a utility bill. He also thinks it may be because his insurers are cheapskates :roll: who won't put themselves out. Whatever the reason, they won't do it