Registering UK cars in France

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Registering UK cars in France

Post by Allan »

I have started a new thread for this as we seem to have wandered off the previous topic.
Smiley G wrote:This is a post I made under another title (Registering a U.K. car in France)
If you are resident in France, you must register the vehicle in France within 6 months.
It's an EU directive across all member states. Directive 83/182/EEC.
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 82:en:HTML
If you are not ordinarily resident in France you do not have to BUT you DO have to retain its home country legal status.
The PDF is here if you REALLY want to be geeky!
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/re ... com_en.pdf
__
The EU directive referred to is for 'temporary' import of vehicles and I believe only applies to non-residents.

The law is far from clear on this, I have read elsewhere that if you are resident here that you must register within one month.

Looking at the Carte-Grise website http://http://www.carte-grise.org/impor ... terre.htm/ it says you must start the process within 15 days.

I have no idea what happens if you are French resident but you intend to take the car back to the UK and sell it within 6 months.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Banyuls wrote:I cannot think why one wouldn't register ones car if resident in France. At least you KNOW you have insurance.
As we all know insurance companies will always find a way to get out of paying if they can, and if it's big claim they'll look harder. Not having your car registered must surely be an easy get-out for them leaving the motorist with a nightmare scenario. :evil:
There are obvious advantages to a UK registered car, notably virtual immunity from Radar Speed Cameras and parking fines.

Similarly if you are driving a UK registered car with a UK driving licence then you are unlikely to lose penalty points if you are caught by the gendarmes for speeding or other infractions.

This partial immunity above may be desirable but cannot possibly compete with the security of knowing you are properly insured.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

I intend to bring a UK car to France for intermittent use. To me it seems that I should register it in France and insure it in France. From previous threads I believe that is the cheapest way to go (compared to british insurers + UK road tax).

In fact my (French ) insurer tells me that it is illegal to insure a car in France unless it has been 'exported ' from the uk and registered in France.

Which begs the question. All these UK reg cars I see that live in France, are they insured in France and registered in France but keeping UK no. plates or is there another route I should know about?

Cheers

John
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Geoman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Geoman »

Just going to start process of registering car here, I read somewhere that you don't need the certificate of conformity if you have a newish car. Is this correct?
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Geoman

I edited Allan's useful url which seems to have the gen you seek.
www.carte-grise.org/importation_vehicul ... terre.htm/

Good luck
John
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Does anyone know what the law says on exporting a car from the UK and selling it here without registering it. i.e. with no carte grise?
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

We bought a Brit car here without a carte Gris, no problem at customes ,just shows a signed sales invoice.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.