Ryanair to quit Girona

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Ryanair to quit Girona

Post by Smiley G »

Have just read this article in l'Independant, copied below, saying Ryanair are quitting Girona. As the article also states, let's hope Ryanair don't quit Perpignan.

La compagnie low cost irlandaise Ryanair opère cette année un repli de Gérone vers Barcelone : tous ses vols devraient rejoindre la capitale catalane d'ici le mois de décembre.

Aéroport 'Ryanair dépendant', Gérone accuse là un coup qui pourrait lui être fatal. Avec 1,2 million de passagers accueillis depuis janvier (déjà - 22 % par rapport aux sept premiers mois de 2013), l'aéroport renoue dans la douleur avec les chiffres de son trafic de 2004 et ne compte cet été 'que' 54 destinations quand il dépassait les 100 il y a peu.

Et même si ses responsables refusent le catastrophisme en voulant croire en l'arrivée de nouvelles compagnies, l'avenir de la plateforme de l'Emporda se trouve sérieusement compromis. En espérant que Ryanair ne 'délocalise' pas aussi ses vols de Perpignan.
http://www.lindependant.fr/2014/08/19/r ... 919525.php
Last edited by Smiley G on Wed 20 Aug 2014 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Is Perpignan Airport under threat as well?

Post by Smiley G »

Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

je peux annoncer que Londres devient une destination à l'année avec Ryanair. C'est un effet de leur départ de Gérone.

That would be good news.
CarolineN
Rank 3
Rank 3

airports

Post by CarolineN »

if only they flew to a larger choice of destinations!! Bristol? Birmingham? Manchester? or even to Paris CDG - for linking on to long haul flights!

And had flights to the UK all year round !

do they have a suggestions box at the airport does anyone know?

I for one would rather use Perpignan, but it really is so limited with its choice. Shame as it is an easy to use airport and so close for many of us
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Perpignan Airport destinations

Post by Smiley G »

[quote="CarolineN"]if only they flew to a larger choice of destinations!! Bristol? Birmingham? Manchester? or even to Paris CDG - for linking on to long haul flights!
CarolineN, please follow the attached link for Perpignan Airport's destinations;
http://www.aeroport-perpignan.com/en/destinations.html
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Perpignan airport

Post by Lanark Lass »

But these flights are not available all year. Birmingham-Perpignan would be great for us - but is only available July and August!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I wonder if it has anything to do with their dwindling fortunes.
http://www.thelocal.fr/20140723/eu-says ... 96-million

It will be a great blow if Ryanair fades and disappears, as no matter what we have to say against them, they have provided millions of people with easy and accessible flying for years. Hope it's not a taste of things to come!
Last edited by Kate on Wed 20 Aug 2014 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
CarolineN
Rank 3
Rank 3

airport

Post by CarolineN »

I agree Larkshire Lass it is great in the summer but the rest of the year - very little choice. Shame Air France or British Airways cant do a bi-weekly hop to Perpignan.
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Hello! Don't worry, we are working to get year round services with cities such as Dublin or Birmingham but we are working now for next year program. It's just very difficult for us because the competition in this sector is very exacerbated and the current environment is not particularly conducive to our development.

Don't take seriously the article of L'Independant, they are saying a lot of bullshits (like usually) and want to get the buzz going. Ryanair is not going to leave Girona, they are just reducing their program as several destinations such as Paris Beauvais, London-Luton & Stansted, Brussels-Charleroi... were not enough profitable from Girona during winter season.

Just read & translate this new article from La-Clau (the key in catalan) which is a serious online newspaper specialized in political & economical articles concerning North & South Catalonia : http://www.la-clau.net/info/9352/ryanai ... irona-9352

So you will know now what is L'Independant's philosophy : the art to announce non-events & participate to the misinformation.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Good news and a warning to all about L'Independant. Having said that, there's not much Ryanair traffic from Girona-Barcelona after November 5th.
http://www.ryanair.com/en FIND YOUR FLIGHT.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

As I started this topic, here's the latest from L'Independant.
http://www.lindependant.fr/2014/08/19/r ... 919525.php
The only U.K. route I can find (from Girona) is to Glasgow (Prestwick) this is out of 12 routes after the beginning of November.
Last edited by Smiley G on Thu 21 Aug 2014 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

dimidu66 wrote:Hello! Don't worry, we are working to get year round services with cities such as Dublin or Birmingham but we are working now for next year program. It's just very difficult for us because the competition in this sector is very exacerbated and the current environment is not particularly conducive to our development.

Don't take seriously the article of L'Independant,

Just one question - who are "we"?

And one comment. From what I have seen La Clau is little better than a Catalan separatist organ of propaganda. I could be wrong, of course.

Mary
dimidu66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dimidu66 »

Hello Merisin, "we" is " Perpignan Airport "

Yes La-Clau is a reliable source of information. Obviously it preserves its catalan origins but they are generally neutral in the way of treating articles.
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Girona airport

Post by Lanark Lass »

Maybe passenger numbers at Gerona are falling due to lack of onward connection possibilities e.g. demise of Frogbus?
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Other Ryanair flights eg to sardinia are showing for at least 6 months...
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Perpicat

Post by rhys »

Perpicat is a better connection in my view from Girona airport
as it stops in towns along the route as well as Perpignan.
Some posts would indicate that not all Forum members are aware of its existence.

It needs support though or it risks closing.

As to Ryanair leaving Girona - if the passenger demand is there for routes to UK I would think one of the lowcosts would seek to fulfil it.

I find Easyjet and Flybe much calmer airlines to use - much less stress - and prefer to pay slightly more than with Ryanair whenever there is that option.

Flying has become such a nightmare that even a long drive is starting to regain some of its attractions............
Train journey even more so, except for the change at Paris.
If only they would bring back the Car+Train option, with change at Lille.....
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lanark Lass »

Yes - but Perpicat often does not connect with flights and extra stops at the villages increase costs significantly. Can end up costing more than flight!
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

perpicat

Post by rhys »

25euros per person each way ?

seems reasonable to me.

They have to cover their costs and make some profit.
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lanark Lass »

That is for the main stops. It is extra to stop at say Pallau or St Andre. All per person.
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lanark Lass »

Re my last post - I was quoted an additional €15 per head for a stop at St Andre - more than 50% surcharge.

In any case, I'n sure Perpignan airport would be better for most of us - especially if hiring a car. I hear its not so easy to hire a car in Spain now and drive it into France.