Buying a UK-registered car here

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Buying a UK-registered car here

Post by Santiago »

Anyone had any experience of buying a UK registered car over here?

I know one option would be to get it re-registered with French plates but what about keeping it on UK plates?
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

One problem is that you need to do an annual MOT in the UK. As that was getting too far for both car and driver, I switched to French plates.

Pearson
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

If you are resident in France, you must register the vehicle in France within 6 months.
It's an EU directive across all member states. Directive 83/182/EEC.
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 82:en:HTML
If you are not ordinarily resident in France you do not have to BUT you DO have to retain its home country legal status.
The PDF is here if you REALLY want to be geeky!
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/re ... com_en.pdf
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

I brought a UK registered car down 3 years ago and re-registered it here so it is now on French plates. The process is surprisingly easy, I did it in one morning and that included Getting it insured, a CT, The Tresor, and the Sous Prefecture. Some people have had problems but if you are very careful to make sure that you have all the paperwork required it is ok.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

neil mitchell wrote:I brought a UK registered car down 3 years ago and re-registered it here so it is now on French plates. The process is surprisingly easy, I did it in one morning and that included Getting it insured, a CT, The Tresor, and the Sous Prefecture. Some people have had problems but if you are very careful to make sure that you have all the paperwork required it is ok.
From speaking to friends who have re-registered their vehicles in France, the major stumbling block is obtaining, from the manufacturer, a Certificate of Conformity. https://www.eurococ.eu/en/certificate_of_conformity
I understand this can be a major problem for cars like Rover/MG where the manufacturer is no longer around.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

My mairie is telling me that in addition to the "Declaration de Cessation" and the Declaration of Exportation along with the Certificate of Conformity, I also need a "Certificat d'Acquisition" which is provided by the Centre des Impots.

Has anyone got any info on this? What docs do I need to present and where to get it? Or is it something that the seller should have provided?

Thanks
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

If that is the purchase receipt then I made one of my own, I'd had the car for years in UK and I just made up a receipt using the name of the previous keeper from the V5 and squiggled a signature, nobody at the French end batted an eyelid.
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

Santiago, I think that's what's usually called a quitus fiscal. We brought our UK car over when we moved and I had to get one of these - just turned up at the local Impots office with the receipt for the car, registration documents and the usual justificatifs. They gave me the quitus on the spot (free).

AFAIK, it's just to prove that TVA has already been paid on the car - in other words that it's not a new TVA-free import.

Edit: the horse's mouth: http://www.interieur.gouv.fr/A-votre-se ... obtient-on