Revised Ryanair Cabin Baggage Rules

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Revised Ryanair Cabin Baggage Rules

Post by Smiley G »

This came into force on last month. After the first 90 bags, the rest will go free in the luggage hold. The following is a copy and paste from the Ryanair website.
http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-con ... binbaggage

CABIN BAGGAGE

One cabin bag per passenger* weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cms.

Due to cabin space limitations only 90 cabin bags (55 x 40 x 20 cms) can be carried in the cabin, any remainder will be carried free of charge in the aircraft hold.

Oversized cabin baggage will be refused at the boarding gate, or where available, placed in the hold of the aircraft for a fee of £50/€50 (fee subject to VAT on domestic flights at applicable government rates). If you are unsure, check at the Bag Drop desk before going through security.

*excluding infants travelling on a parent’s lap

Smaller musical items such as a cello, guitar, violin or viola which exceed our cabin baggage dimensions may be carried in the cabin if a seat for it has been reserved and the appropriate fare paid. There is no checked or cabin baggage allowance associated with the purchase of an extra seat.

To book an extra seat for an item the word "ITEM SEAT" must be entered as the surname and "EXTRA" must be entered at the first name. EXTRA ITEM SEAT will then be displayed on the reservation and online boarding pass. The accompanying passenger's travel document details must be entered during the online check- in process. Spanish Resident and Large Family Discount is not applicable on EXTRA seats.

Reserved seating in emergency rows 1,16 and 17 may not be purchased if you have purchased an extra seat for item/comfort/broken leg.

You must also fully comply with Article 8 of our Terms & Conditions of Carriage (click here for details).
:cry:
Last edited by Smiley G on Sun 05 Jan 2014 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

new Ryanair hand luggage

Post by alan »

Just been measuring ... the new hand luggage size guaranteed to go with you on the plane is really quite small: it's smaller than a standard lap-top (although tablets will fit) or a medium-sized handbag [it's the width dimension which is the killer] - so it's going to be quite possible that valuables that would easily fit under your seat will be consigned to the hold.

Not sure who the "lucky 90" will be: the first to book? print out boarding cards? make it to the gate? board? - if the last, will they limit "speedy boarding" just to 90?
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

Is the solution a "Rufus Roo Big Pocket Travel Jacket" available on Amazon?
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

If you carefully observe the overhead lockers on a RyanAir flight you will note that there is space for TWO standard-sized pieces of hand-luggage per THREE seats. More pieces can be squeezed in if the hand-luggage is "soft" (i.e. a backpack) rather than hard-shell.

We've all seen cabin crew struggle on a full flight to get all the luggage in, and often a few pieces are put in the hold "free of charge" if there's no room. A Google search suggests that there's 189 seats packed into a RyanAir 737-800 plane so guaranteeing the first 90 shouldn't be difficult.

EasyJet do not guarantee to accommodate all hand-luggage in the cabin. On a full flight, while queueing at the gate, they will ask for "volunteers" to put luggage in the hold. Few people offer so they walk down the queue counting luggage and when they get to a certain point the remaining luggage has to go in the hold. BUT BUT BUT they only select hard-shell cases (as presumably they can't guarantee the safety of items in "soft" hand luggage) AND they always ask if the passenger's luggage contains their passport or medication (and move on to someone else if they do).

RyanAir's problem with too much hand-luggage is the predictable outcome of discouraging hold-luggage. We'll see how it turns out but I for one will be swapping my hard-shell case for a soft backpack. I don't think they dare put potentially delicate luggage in the hold.

My advice is to use soft luggage and/or claim that medication is in the bag.

With EasyJet they put a hold-luggage-label on the hand-luggage and ask the passenger to leave it at the foot of the front steps. They also stick a matching luggage tag on the boarding pass as with regular checked hold-luggage. I saw one cheeky-chap say "To Hell with that" and tear off both labels when no-one was looking. The plane crew would have no way of knowing.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Personally I dont understand all the fuss. Now that I can take a handbag big enough for my Reader, purse and Passport and as long as my luggage arrives with me I do not care whether it is in the hold or locker. Just means a few minutes wait for the carousel, no big deal. Also being a woman and fairly short it means I wont have to struggle to reach the locker while all the men stand and watch. Oh darn I will still have to struggle as I will have 3 different medications in my luggage as my handbag is not big enough to accommodate it! :D
Dylan
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Sue wrote:Oh darn I will still have to struggle as I will have 3 different medications in my luggage as my handbag is not big enough to accommodate it! :D
Excuse to buy a new handbag?? :)

Russell.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

I will continue as before. I have a posh leather bum-bag (ie a BELT, permitted, according to Ryanair) which holds my purse, passport, phone, sweeties, tissues, pen and crossword :wink:

If I want to, I pack a flat cross-body bag (ie a HAND-bag, and wrong dimensions for new rule) in my hand baggage to transfer everything when I arrive.

Works for me
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

ryan air

Post by monsans »

Always the doge of a coat with multiple pockets providing all articles pass security.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Not forgetting cargo pants with huge pockets in legs. But you do need the belt as well :wink:
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I've just got a picture in my head of someone trying to get on the plane with a belt that resembles a Commando's webbing.
:lol:
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

We have just flown as a family, did not book any priority seats , we were 4 people and were located seats together for both trips. unfortunately some folks are unable to work out which row they should be sat in , we should all have been in Row 8 . when my daughter arrived there, a family of 3 were already settled there , they should have been in row 7 and they should have been in row 3 ! so quite a bit of shuffling about , removing baggage from the lockers etc .
It seemed to take forever to load.
I did not see evidence of bags being put in the hold outbound, but on our return the 2 staff were wandering around looking for solid wheel suitcases to tag and take to the hold.
The extra hand bag is a bonus, book, glasses, snack , passport to hand, sweets etc.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Please see my post dated 1st March headed Ryanair
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.