Supermarket Fuels

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Supermarket Fuels

Post by Smiley G »

Some time ago there was a big debate in the U.K. about the quality of supermarket petrol and diesel. It was felt that their lower prices reflected;
1 Bulk-Buying
2 Lack of additives (used in Brand fuels, especially diesel, for Lubricity)
I wonder does anyone know whether or not the same applies in France?
Currently Total standard diesel (not Excellium) is the same price in Perpignan as at Intermarché in Argelès. Yet the price of Dyneff diesel in Argelès is about 10c a litre more than Intermarché.
I once bought diesel at Carrefour and couldn't wait to top-up with a brand product.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Smiley
Whether the fuel in France is better than the UK, the prices vary throughout the PO. There is a web site giving the prices for fuel around France but I don't have a copy anymore. It's been posted many times though.

Intermarche isn't cheap ~ certainly other places are more expensive but considering there's a big line of cars trying into the place, somebody thinks is cheap. But, if you want to drive up to the Carrefour Market fuel in Laroque, you'll find it's always two or three centimes cheaper than the Intermarche's prices. Plus, there's no big line waiting to get fuel.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr

just select your département and your fuel
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Thanks for the comments but what I was really interested in was if anyone knew if French supermarket fuels had the same engine-friendly additives that branded fuels have.
E.G. Carrefour essence and diesel vs Esso/Total/Shell essence & diesel.
It IS important, especially for diesel engines, because of injectors etc.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

As far as I'm aware the supermarkets buy their fuel direct from the same wholesalers as the others so it has the same additives. Of course they bulk buy - don't all the companies? I've been using supermarket diesel in my car since new for six years with no problems.

A couple of years ago there was a problem with the diesel from some supermarkets but I believe that was due to water getting in and could happen anywhere.

Russell.

Correction, Carrefour claim to add additional additives at the depot. See http://www.carrefour.fr/les-plus-carref ... -carrefour although I suspect most of this is marketing hype.
R.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Thanks for the link Russell. The detergent and anti-corrosive additives ARE vital. So it's Carrefour from now on!
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

When I lived in Sweden, the diesel was "touched up" with petrol, to gain the starting diesel engines. The temperature turns diesel into parrafin, the cars will not start. Most of the stations had the petrol added, as soon as the temperature drops. Same procedure happened in Montreal too.

Some drivers add a bit themselves, especially if the winter arrived too early and the stations didn't have anything into the pumps yet.

So far I haven't seen anything like this yet~it's too warm here.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

blackduff wrote:When I lived in Sweden, the diesel was "touched up" with petrol, to gain the starting diesel engines. The temperature turns diesel into parrafin, the cars will not start.
Paraffin is a lighter distillate of petroleum than diesel and is more volatile so I don't think the diesel turned to paraffin. Adding paraffin to diesel would make it easier to start in very cold weather just like adding petrol.

When I did some work in Finland there were power sockets in the car park to connect engine heaters to.

Russell.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

russell wrote:
blackduff wrote:When I lived in Sweden, the diesel was "touched up" with petrol, to gain the starting diesel engines. The temperature turns diesel into parrafin, the cars will not start.
Paraffin is a lighter distillate of petroleum than diesel and is more volatile so I don't think the diesel turned to paraffin. Adding paraffin to diesel would make it easier to start in very cold weather just like adding petrol.

When I did some work in Finland there were power sockets in the car park to connect engine heaters to.

Russell.
I assume that this meant "paraffin wax". The regulations should ensure that diesel sold in winter is proof against local winter temperatures. There can be problems if you leave your car unused full of "summer diesel" and try to start in the winter, but this seems unlikely to be a problem in the PO. Similarly with the other possible concerns: the stuff has to meet minimum standards for lubricity, certane index etc wherever you buy it.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

russell wrote:

Russell.
Sorry Russel
My use of paraffin was the American version ~ paraffin in the US is a hard wax, often used to fill the top of conserves. What I'm saying is that the diesel becomes harden in the cold.

http://www.enertechlabs.com/winter_blen ... _fuels.php

This article is American, I think. It mentions what I said it happens in Scandinavia.

Of course the electrical plugs are used in colder zones but when you've let your diesel get cold outside, where you don't have access to the plugs, it's just needed brought into a warmer garage. The paraffin/wax will become liquid again and the motor will start.

Living in Minnesota, Montreal and Sweden has give me a little experience. These countries lived in temps down to -40 degrees F more often that a person wants. I think that -40 F is the same as -40 C. Cold! Brrrrr!

Blackduff