car train

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

car train

Post by tia »

hi, just wondered if anybody has used this type of transport recently? Goes from narbonne to paris , will be travelling with a 7 year old so would like to know the pros and cons , especially the paris bit for picking your car up as from what I understand it is not the same station.
thank you
John & Elaine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by John & Elaine »

We had a family of renters who took it both ways a couple of years back and found it OK except for the fact it took three hours to unload at Narbonne and when they finally got the car it was very severly scratched all over. They were insured but who needs this kind of start to a holiday!

John

PS Have a great safe and trip when the time comes!
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

thanks, was thinking of taking it for at least on the way back, don't mind driving but with a 7 year old thought it might be easier
Caroline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Caroline »

We did the Paris to Narbonne journey a couple of years ago and had no problems - just don't expect to sleep on the 'sleeper' train. We had to stop for a sleep in the car at Barcares plage!
Caroline
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

I've looked into it a bit, now you cannot travel with your car, you have to book on another train from another station, can book the car now for the dates I want but says it's too early to book passengers on a train and have to wait! don't really want to book the car on and not have my tickets also, think I'm going to wait a while and see. Not a very cheap solution but thought it would wear me out less sitting on a train for a few hundred kms instead of hearing the usual' are we there yet' from the back seat!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

If you are only going as far as Paris and for a few days not weeks, why not travel by train and hire a car the other end. May be a cheaper option than putting your own car on the train and you dont have to worry about it. Another option fly Perps to Paris and then pick up a hire car.
Dylan
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

want to go to the uk but not sure if I could face driving there and back with tia in the back! thought it might have been an easier option at least one way .
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Its heck of a trip without a little one! I would imagine you would need to possibly 2 stopovers.
Dylan
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

have done it nearly every year, usually go straight up, regular stops for coffee etc . I'm ok going it's coming back that I feel shattered and usually have to stop for a sleep.