TGV Perpignan to Barcelona

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

TGV Perpignan to Barcelona

Post by redneckrover »

I am travelling to Perpignan in April and I have been trying to find out when the passenger service begins.I have seen two reports, one said April, the other said July.
I have tried to advance book tickets without success.
I would appreciate information from anyone who keeps in touch with such matters.
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

Since I posted this question I have looked at the English language version of the Adif website which deals with all Railway matters in Spain.
This website states that "The full opening of the Figueres Barcelona stretch took place on January 8th 2013 in a ceremony presided over by HRH The Prince of Asturias " !!!
Now I'm really confused , this suggests that the high speed connection is already in service, I would have thought that this would have received more publicity.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I usually follow all of this quite closely but must admit that they have lost me somewhere along the track!
http://www.anglophone-direct.com/-Health-and-Beauty-

As far as I know, the line is to open in April, despite safety measures for passengers not having been finalised in three of the tunnels ie evacuation in case of accident :cry:

I did read about an opening ceremony, but assumed it was just that....ceremony. I could be wrong (and often am :lol: ) so it would be interesting to know if anybody has more up to date info.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Just 'phoned a friend' in Giona who works for the Generalitat and he says that the inaugeration was for the Figs - Barcs line which is running the TGV, and it is hoped the Perps to Barcs will start in April but dont hold your breath!!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

What I don't understand is that you can go to Figures on the TGV from Perpignan and you can go from Figueres to Barcelona on the TGV, but not Perpignan to Barcelona.

Did they miss joining the tracks or something? Wouldn't surprise me.

Looking at SNCF, you can get a direct train but it takes 3 hrs or you can make a change at Figueres which only takes 1hr30.

Franco-Hispanic cooperation :roll:
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

Yes, that's precisely what I don't understand, I was under the impression that the new line bypasses Figueres , there is a new station on the outskirts. Then it doesn't make sense that both sections are open already yet its not possible to go the whole way non stop. !!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

As I understand it, the TGV from Perps to Figs is not yet high speed!
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

Yes, Kate it looks like none of it is high speed yet, the TGV booking site shows a direct train but the journey time is given as 2 hours 50 minutes !
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

So it's really a TPGV
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

For anybody whose interested I have tracked down the exact story on this High speed connection.
From January 9th we have had High speed from Perp to Figueres,change platforms and wait a while in Figueres, then proceed to Barcelona.
This takes 1 hour and 32 minutes.
From April, currently planned for 29th April, the changeover at Figueres will be eliminated and we will have the long awaited 1 hour journey. !!
There is still one old Talgo connection per day which takes 2 hours 50 minutes, leaving Perpignan around 8 am.
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

TGV/AVE

Post by Daphne »

Do check that it is only platforms you need to change and not stations. The normal trains from Perpignan go the old station and the AVE leaves and arrives from the new Figueras Vilafant station (on the road to Olot). They are a long way from each other, too far to walk and taxis are expensive in Figueras. We have booked the AVE from Figueras Vilafant to Madrid with a stop at Barcelona, it only cost 190 euros for 2, return and we will be in Madrid in around 4 hrs or less. You can find out all train times, prices and stations on the Renfe website. Good Luck.
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Today's L'Indepentant says that the through services will be starting on 28 April. The SNCF ipad app still thinks that no such service exists (it will not even give you a timing for the "old" way, which suggests that it is all still in suspense, or that they have not yet updated the timetable).
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Martyn wrote:Today's L'Indepentant says that the through services will be starting on 28 April. The SNCF ipad app still thinks that no such service exists (it will not even give you a timing for the "old" way, which suggests that it is all still in suspense, or that they have not yet updated the timetable).
Martyn
I had a quick look at the article this morning and there was something about 2017 being the final date. That will be a long wait for the train to arrive 28 April, 2013. I was waiting for my coffee to be ready at McDo and I left reading this story after seeing 2017.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

I imagine the 2017 refers to the complete Paris Madrid line including the bit between Montpelier and Perpignan.
QB
Rank 1
Rank 1

TGV - Perp to Barca

Post by QB »

Does anyone have any further information about a revised opening date?

Many thanks.
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

We went to Madrid from Figueras on the AVE, it takes 50 mins to Barcelona and then carries on the rest of the journey. Parking is secured at the station and very cheap. Highly recommend, must better than the TGV and once the tgv is operative it will be much more expensive as you are crossing a border.
Pauljhonley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Pauljhonley »

A friend advised me that they still had problems with vibrations under Barcelona Cathedral and the project was on hold - don't know how true that is as I've not read it anywhere. I've still only ever seen one TGV on the line to Figueres.
Paul
Pauljhonley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Pauljhonley »

Local shopkeeper near Argeles reckons it will be November before Barcelona section is opened.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I used to get quite regular press releases about the ongoing situation, but haven't had a sausage for a while. No news is good news I hope! :roll:
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

It is BBQ season. I am sure somebody will present you with a sausage soon.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Admin »

Ha ha. I did get an email last night from a French forum member, whose English is actually impeccable.....but didn't get that one. It actually made me question whether I just made it up myself? :oops: :oops:

For our French and other nationality readers, it's a slang way of saying 'nothing' - but it might just be my slang way, so dont quote me until someone else backs me up....or shoots me down! :lol:
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I understood perfectly and have used the same saying many a time so its not a north south divide thing!! :wink:
Dylan
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Admin »

Phew! Thanks Sue. I know I have been known to utter the odd bit of gobbledygood (otherwise translated as total cr-p) but happy to see that on this occasion, it's not an expression that I have just plucked out of the sky! :lol:

Might have to move part of this thread to the language forum! :lol:
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

You'll be pleased to know that it is in the Cambridge Dictionary.

You'll be less pleased to know that it is described as "old fashioned". ;-)

Pearson
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I dont mind being old fashioned!
Dylan
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Admin »

Ha ha! Moi non plus. We're just a couple of ol' fashioned gals. Thanks Pearson. Really surprised it's in the dictionary. It's going to have to go in the next POL then, in the Améliorez votre Anglais!
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

"We're just a couple of ol' fashioned gals"...all you need then is an 'ol' fashioned millionaire" . Well, 2 I guess :lol:
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

I understood it quite clearly. I was just playing.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I knew that too John. Just playing back! :lol: :lol:
Dylan