British photo card driving licence

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

British photo card driving licence

Post by Sue »

Not sure what heading to put this query under. The photo on my British driving licence card needs renewing in February of next year. I see that this can be done on line providing you hold a British Passport (less than 5 years old). I have the relevant passport but I am not a British resident which the DVLA website states you must be to apply. You have to supply address/es for last 3 years They also state that they will liaise with DWP. As my pension is paid here, I am a tax resident here and my passport was issued by the British Embassy here, how do I get my photo renewed. I dont really want to go down the road of a French licence.
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

http://www.anglophone-direct.com/New-Fr ... g-licences

I am not sure how often a UK card licence has to be updated, but this could be the answer. I am not sure why you are reluctant to change to a french one, it is easy , free and quick.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

You have to update your UK photo (not licence) every 10 years and mine is due for renewal in Feb 2013. When I spoke to someone at the Mairie they told me it would take 2 or 3 months to issue me with a French licence. They would give me a piece of paper for driving here in the interim but not for UK. With ill health of family members this could prove a problem if we needed to get back in a hurry and not being in a position to get a hire car that end.
Dylan
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

opas wrote:http://www.anglophone-direct.com/New-Fr ... g-licences

I am not sure how often a UK card licence has to be updated, but this could be the answer. I am not sure why you are reluctant to change to a french one, it is easy , free and quick.
A lot of people don't want to change because the french can't (yet) put points on a UK licence.

By law you are obliged to inform the DVLA of a change of address and that address must be in the UK so expats living in France should all change to a french licence but rarely do.

Most people have a UK address (often the home of a family member) for subscriptions to Sky or for credit cards.

If you are not legally entitled to update your photo then equally you are in breach of the obligation to notify them of a change of address.

If you decide to bend the rules then it is unlikely anyone will ever know but it's up to you whether you want to take the risk.
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

i have been trying to change my licence by request of the local gendarme, it has now been over 6 months since i first applied through the mairie,the first application was regected and returned for many reasons,
1. an upto date copy of a utility bill required (within 3 months)this was supplied but when they processed the application it was then older than 3 months old.
2. they requested a certificate (not the licence)from the dvla proving i had a licence????.
3, and they requested i have a full medical.
4.a copy of my licence was required , the original was included.
all this aside i have info that is not necessary to change your licence over to a french one despite what the gendarmes have told me.
The page that quotes the law is from the British Embassy in Paris, so they should know what they are talking about: http://ukinfrance.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo ... g-licences

and the English version is on pdf here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 024:EN:PDF

and in French here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 024:fr:PDF
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

interiors66 wrote:i have been trying to change my licence by request of the local gendarme, it has now been over 6 months since i first applied through the mairie,the first application was regected and returned for many reasons,
1. an upto date copy of a utility bill required (within 3 months)this was supplied but when they processed the application it was then older than 3 months old.
2. they requested a certificate (not the licence)from the dvla proving i had a licence????.
all this aside i have info that is not necessary to change your licence over to a french one despite what the gendarmes have told me.
The page that quotes the law is from the British Embassy in Paris, so they should know what they are talking about: http://ukinfrance.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo ... g-licences

and the English version is on pdf here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 024:EN:PDF

That's really useful but it contradicts the DVLA who say you must notify them of a change of address and that the address must be in the UK
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

When I spoke to the dvla , they.told me to leave my licence as it was with my last UK address on it and that would be sufficient.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Thaks everyone for your postings.
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

interiors66 wrote:i have been trying to change my licence by request of the local gendarme, it has now been over 6 months since i first applied through the mairie,the first application was regected and returned for many reasons,

Have you got the HGV/class 2 on your licence, that would account for the medical.
I have a 62 year old friend who has recently changed her licence and no medical was requested.
My other half had to get an attn from DVLA because when he transfered his licence his bus element was missing on the french new one.
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

No hgv held., just a standard licence. The person who was dealing with the application was having a bad day I presume. The mairie has now returned my application to me and I'm back to square 1 .
The trouble is the gendarme have been knocking on my door, I dont want to make a hard time for myself so o would be happy to change over just to keep the peace but when the prefecture does this sort of thing and the law sais I dont need to change it. Why should I make any more effort?
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Have you been convicted of a traffic offence here? I believe that is the only legal reason for them to require you to change your licence.

Russell
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

I was stopped.for not wearing my seat belt, fair cop.but the gendarmes reason for having to change it is that I have lived here long enough and I have to have a French licence now.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

That is probably why they want you to change your licence as you cannot lose points on a british licence.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Yet!!
Dylan
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

It's 3 points for the seat belt ( I think) French regulations:

Échange obligatoire en cas d'infraction routière

L'échange du permis de conduire européen devient obligatoire lorsque la personne commet en France une infraction au code de la route, entraînant une mesure de restriction, de suspension, d'annulation du permis ou une perte de points.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/part ... 1758.xhtml

So if you have transgressed French traffic laws, you are required to get a French permit.
Apparently they can give you a fine if you do not change it.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

tia wrote:It's 3 points for the seat belt ( I think) French regulations:

Échange obligatoire en cas d'infraction routière

L'échange du permis de conduire européen devient obligatoire lorsque la personne commet en France une infraction au code de la route, entraînant une mesure de restriction, de suspension, d'annulation du permis ou une perte de points.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/part ... 1758.xhtml

So if you have transgressed French traffic laws, you are required to get a French permit.
Apparently they can give you a fine if you do not change it.
This was asked on another forum so have copied the answer for you. The person recieved a 90 ,euro fine for not changing their licence and was questioning it. Also if you read the french version of your link it actually says this.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

sue, found this bit for you but not good news for you I'm afraid;
As regards driving licences that are already in circulation, the present proposal, with the newly introduced administrative validity, abolishes the right of Member States to apply their own validity period to holders of licences issued by other Member States who establish their normal residence on their territory. Their licences will remain valid as stipulated on the driving licence. Before expiry, the holder will have to renew the driving licence in the Member State of normal residence.
Recommends changing before your photo card expires otherwise you have to get something from the dvla. Hubby had to have his medical in october and is still waiting for his licence to come back from the prefecture ( employer not happy as he cannot go to spain at the moment with the lorry)
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Thanks for that!!
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I thought the paper you hold during the period that your licence is with the authorities was treated as your licence, but valid only for 1 month and the need to go back to the maires office for an extension if needed.
I understand car hire comoanies may not hire using one of these, but with other back up ID surely there must be a company willing to hire.
Debeneur.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

The piece of paper the Mairie give you when you apply for a French licence is valid in France only. Or so they told me when I enquired about changing over.
Dylan
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

you cannot go abroad with the bit of paper from the mairie, (not even to le perthus). Hubby has had the paper for over 2 months not sure how long it lasts. I doubt very much that you could hire a car with it, even in france.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

This is what put me off changing at the time back in the summer as I had 2 elderly parents, one now passed away, and a very sick mother in law. I couldnt be all those months without a driving licence to be able to get to an airport and hire a car in UK.
Dylan
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

not sure if you can do it but I know that if you live in perpignan you can go to the prefecture and get your licence done straight away ( as long as you are very patient as there is usually a very long queue, the key is to get there before it opens and be first in). As you are in argeles they may be reluctant to do it ( not that they can't but it is more work for them) but if you insist and explain why , you might be lucky . Just be sure to have everything needed ,paperwork wise. If I remember right the office is on the first floor, if you climb the stairs you can't miss it.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Thanks tia, the first floor of where?
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Prefecture Perpignan. It is situated to the right of the Castillet , a small street down a flight of steps.
Debeneur.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Is it anywhere near CPAM office?
Dylan
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I'm in the same boat. I got a random stop from the Gendarmes about 4 weeks ago who told me I had to change my UK license to a French one as my car was registered 5 years ago. Not sure he was correct from what I've read above but then I went back to the UK and hired a car. That was when I discovered my photocard had expired. Fortunately the nice man at Hertz let me hire the car anyway but I'm now in the situation where I have to exchange my expired UK photocard for a French licence. That should be fun.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

If your photo card has expired you need to get something from the dvla ( they will not give you the french licence without this). Sorry but I can't remember what it is called. We changed our licences when we moved back and it was pretty easy ( hubby had all his hgv and bus licences so just had to give a medical with it).
When we moved to the uk it was impossible to find a driving job there with a french licence, he had to change to a british licence straight away. Son in law has just had the same problem in bus driving.
Basically if you are stopped and fined for something which requires losing points you have to change your licence to a french one (or get fined for not doing it). Also when your british licence runs out if you are resident here you also need to change it. apparently it is a bit complicated if you wait until the licence has run out.
Sue ; the prefecture is in a really tiny road in the town centre near where they had a ice rink last december (not sure if it is there this year). I think the galeries lafayette are opposite. you need to go in the underground carpark near the cinema and then it's on foot. When you find it you will probably think what a stupid place to have an entrance to the prefecture( like a lot of other people).
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

dupe
Last edited by Santiago on Tue 11 Dec 2012 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Thanks Tia. Good info.