Parking at Port Bou

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Parking at Port Bou

Post by carol sheridan »

I am going to travel from near Vernet les Bains to Barcelona next month and I thought it would be easier to take the train from Port Bou. Does anybody know what the parking is like? I have looked at a few sites on google but they are remarkably silent on the subject.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Parking at Port Bou

Post by Sav »

carol sheridan wrote:I am going to travel from near Vernet les Bains to Barcelona next month and I thought it would be easier to take the train from Port Bou. Does anybody know what the parking is like? I have looked at a few sites on google but they are remarkably silent on the subject.
My fleeting memories, are that parking possibilities are miniscule :roll:

There's some info here, which might help your cause if you park at another station.
http://voyageforum.com/forum/stationnem ... _D2717330/

Cheers Sav :)
hamyat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Parking at Port Bou

Post by hamyat »

We have always parked on the marina car park in Port Bou but we had quite a shock this summer. We commented on arrival that the car park seemed quiet for peak season but thought no more about it until we returned to our car and fed the ticket into the machine - 8.50 euro! (It used to be 3 euro per day.) We checked the signs and yes the signs indicated that the day had been broken into segments but there was no charges on any of the signs.
I'm not sure that this is the best way to attract visitors and it can only harm what is already an impoverished town.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

What about staying over night in a hotel that has parking. The Comodoro offers private parking for "a small fee". I dont know how long it is for or indeed for beyond any stay!
Dylan
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Many thanks for the replies - I will do some research on Banyuls. I used to live at St Cyprien Plage so I know the road very well. I just don't fancy the drive to Barcelona on the motorway because of the security problems. My daughter left her car at Barcelona airport and took the train into the city but she was with my 6' 6" son-in-law, and we will be two old ladies!
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

carol sheridan wrote:I will do some research on Banyuls.
Pay & Display by the sea shore, but don't know about the station.
However, i don't think you pay at Argeles.

Cheers Sav :)
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Thanks, Sav.
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Barcelona

Post by tubs »

What about Frogbus to Girona airport or Girona bus station if you prefer and catch the bus to Barcelona. More comfortable and safer than the train I think. Alternatively drive to Girona airport and leave the car there and catch the bus.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Thanks, tubs, that is another avenue I am exploring. I have now looked at parking at Portbou, Banyuls, Cerbere, Gerona railway station...... What did we do before computers?
Mimmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

train from Figueres

Post by Mimmi »

Why not take the train from Figueres? I am not sure about the parking. but there is a train approximately every hour.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

It is the parking that is the problem!
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Sav wrote:
carol sheridan wrote:I will do some research on Banyuls.
Now that is a pastime I would enjoy.
:)
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Debbie and Noel

Post by Debbie and Noel »

A woman in Debbie's circle left her car on the waste ground near the train station at Banyuls. When she came back a week later it had been vandalised.

Noel
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Are you suprised? It should not happen, but car wrecking seems to be the late night sport. If you leave your car in an unattended slightly remote place for more than a couple of days this is what happens.
I have a client who parked their car on and went for a 3 hour walk , when they returned the rear window had been smashed, the parcel shelf removed to enter the boot which had been left empty by the owners . They now take the parcel shelf off to show the boot is empty.

I would not leave my car for a week in any country on a patch of wasteland.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.