selling a car in france

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

tanyabeattie
Rank 1
Rank 1

selling a car in france

Post by tanyabeattie »

does anyone have any experience of selling a 2nd hand car in france?

i think i've read somewhere that the CT has to have been done in the last 6 months and that you need a Certificat de non-gage

any help much appreciated

thanks
Tanya
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

This might help tho it's more from a buyer's point of view than a sellers.
http://www.anglophone-direct.com/Buying ... -in-France?
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Tanya
You can create the Certificat de non-gage on the internet. You'll need your carte gris to give the information but it's easy. Be certain that each "i" is dotted and the "t" crossed, if you understand I mean. Your document has to be perfect.

Look through the site Kate wrote. I think that you, as the seller, has to provide three different documents. It's been a few years since I dd mine but it's really easy.

Good luck. Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
tanyabeattie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tanyabeattie »

thanks Blackduff. what about payment? is it ok to accept cheques as it's supposed to be illegal to bounce a cheque in france? or should i request cash only?

my CT has a year left on it, do I have to renew it?

thanks
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

tanyabeattie wrote:thanks Blackduff. what about payment? is it ok to accept cheques as it's supposed to be illegal to bounce a cheque in france? or should i request cash only?

my CT has a year left on it, do I have to renew it?

thanks
Tanya
You need a CT which was done within the six past months.

I don't think it's legal to make deals above a certain amount of money but you can ask the buyer to have a bank check, which is good for uses like selling cars. It took about three days to have checks made at the BNP for the last two cars we bought. The buyer will have to prepare the check from the bank with all of the price, names, etc..

I do know quite a few people who buy/sell in cash for cars too.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
france-sos
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by france-sos »

Definitely take Blackduff's advice on accepting a bank cheque. I definitely would not accept a personal cheque as there is no guarantee that this will not bounce.
www.france-sos.com
Making your life in France easier
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

it is also important to send the 3rd. copy of the 'Declaration de Cessation' paperwork to the Prefecture within 15 days or you are liable to a 90 euro fine!!!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

All documents required by the seller can be downloaded and completed by hand. The seller must provide the buyer with the following:

Certificat d'immatriculation barrée: this is the vehicle registration document, the certificat d'immatriculation with written on it, by the seller, in indelible ink the words "Vendu le..." and the date, or "Cédée le..." and the date, followed by the seller's signature
Certificat de situation administrative (commonly known by its old name of certificat de non-gage), which certifies that the car is not acting as security against a loan (valid for one month) and that there is no judicial opposition to its sale (valid for two months). The form is available from the Préfecture or Sous-Préfecture
Or download the certificat de situation form: Click here
Déclaration de cession, form Cerfa n°13754*02 (certificate of transfer and document of sale) in triplicate. One copy is given to the buyer, one is kept by the vendor and the third is sent to the Préfecture after the sale is complete. The form is available from the Préfecture or Sous-Préfecture.
Or download a certificat de cession: Click here (PDF)
If the car is more than 4 years old, provide a contrôle technique (CT) certificate (or, if the vehicle is not roadworthy, a certificate from a contrôle technique non roulant). This must be no more than 6 months old when the car is sold, or 2 months if a contre-visite (re-test) is required
Dylan
tanyabeattie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tanyabeattie »

many thanks for all the info. i knew it wouldn't be easy. have managed to download the forms. i thought it was the seller who had to send the certificat de cessation to the prefecture?

now i just have to sell the cars! anyone have any suggestions where the best place to sell a RHD car with french plates?
EILEEN
Rank 2
Rank 2

RHD car

Post by EILEEN »

To sell you could advertise on this web site (in the "for sale" section or in Leboncoin.fr .
We advertised our car on Leboncoin.fr and had 10 calls within 30minutes of the ad. appearing online.
Best done with a photo and details of milage etc. in the advert.
Bank cheque is best for getting payment.
EILEEN