Ryanair/Girona Airport

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

marinamen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ryanair/Girona Airport

Post by marinamen »

Girona Airport seems to have disappeared off the Ryanair site after November 6th.
Interestingly, a new route from Birmingham to Barcelona (El Prat) commences the following day, November 7th.
Back in February, when I last used Girona, an expat (who lives in Spain) told me that she had heard Girona airport was closing in the Autumn for Runway improvements.
If anyone has any information, perhaps we ought to have a thread. When Perpingnan's Ryanair service to Stansted finishes at the end of October, Girona becomes a lifeline as Barcelona El Prat is double the distance from Argeles.
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

Exactly the same thing happened last winter, very few Ryanair flights left girona. Last year was supposedly down to a financial disputes.
lynda
Rank 2
Rank 2

Ryanair and GIrona AIrport

Post by lynda »

We had trouble last year getting to our house in Le Boulou from Cambridge and had to use Carcassonne airport. Our daughter in law was then living in Ceret and collected us and took us back to the airport after our stay. Unfortunately she and her family are now back permanently in the UK so we are thinking of either using the Eurostar and the TGV or getting from Carcassonne to Perpignan by train and then getting a taxi. There is a navette from the airport in Carcassonne train station but it all seems so complicated - O'Leary is certainly not my favourite person!
lyndyloo
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

ryanair

Post by monsans »

There is Frogbus from Perpignan station to drop off at the pèage at Le Boulou which would be a lot more within budbget than a taxi. Maybe 80.00 euros + for the taxi!! Check out the website for Frogbus for relevant times and costs.
geoff.smith
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Ryanair and GIrona AIrport

Post by geoff.smith »

lynda wrote:We had trouble last year getting to our house in Le Boulou from Cambridge and had to use Carcassonne airport. Our daughter in law was then living in Ceret and collected us and took us back to the airport after our stay. Unfortunately she and her family are now back permanently in the UK so we are thinking of either using the Eurostar and the TGV or getting from Carcassonne to Perpignan by train and then getting a taxi. There is a navette from the airport in Carcassonne train station but it all seems so complicated - O'Leary is certainly not my favourite person!
we have used this trip a few times,,its just a matter of changing trains no big deal,,and you get to see the pink flamingos as a treat...g
lynda
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: ryanair

Post by lynda »

monsans wrote:There is Frogbus from Perpignan station to drop off at the pèage at Le Boulou which would be a lot more within budbget than a taxi. Maybe 80.00 euros + for the taxi!! Check out the website for Frogbus for relevant times and costs.
Yes thank you we know about the Frogbus to Le Boulou but we would have quite a walk with cases to our house fom the motorway . I think our friend would pick us up from the station if we can get there! Lynda
lyndyloo
lynda
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Ryanair and GIrona AIrport

Post by lynda »

geoff.smith wrote:
lynda wrote:We had trouble last year getting to our house in Le Boulou from Cambridge and had to use Carcassonne airport. Our daughter in law was then living in Ceret and collected us and took us back to the airport after our stay. Unfortunately she and her family are now back permanently in the UK so we are thinking of either using the Eurostar and the TGV or getting from Carcassonne to Perpignan by train and then getting a taxi. There is a navette from the airport in Carcassonne train station but it all seems so complicated - O'Leary is certainly not my favourite person!
we have used this trip a few times,,its just a matter of changing trains no big deal,,and you get to see the pink flamingos as a treat...g
Many thanks as we will tryi out Lynda
lyndyloo
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Yes thank you we know about the Frogbus to Le Boulou but we would have quite a walk with cases to our house fom the motorway . I think our friend would pick us up from the station if we can get there! Lynda[/quote]

Don't forget PERPICAT (look at their site on Google).More expensive than Frogbus but less than taxi. They'll pick you up and drop you at your door.

Helen
lynda
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lynda »

Robert Ferrieux wrote:Yes thank you we know about the Frogbus to Le Boulou but we would have quite a walk with cases to our house fom the motorway . I think our friend would pick us up from the station if we can get there! Lynda

Don't forget PERPICAT (look at their site on Google).More expensive than Frogbus but less than taxi. They'll pick you up and drop you at your door.

Helen
[/quote]Thanks for that as I didn't,t know about them Lynda
lyndyloo
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Frogbus

Post by tubs »

If your friend is willing to collect you from the Perpignan station, could he/she not pick you up from Le Boulou peage when you get off the Frogbus? Much closer for him/her and saves you walking with cases!
Haven't tried Perpicat so can't comment.
lynda
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Frogbus

Post by lynda »

tubs wrote:If your friend is willing to collect you from the Perpignan station, could he/she not pick you up from Le Boulou peage when you get off the Frogbus? Much closer for him/her and saves you walking with cases!
Haven't tried Perpicat so can't comment.
YES OF COURSE SHE COULD BUT IT IS ALL MUCH MORE DIFFICULT THAN FLYING DIRECTLY TO PERPIGNAN OR GERONA AIRPORTS !!
lyndyloo
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tubs »

Sorry was just trying to be helpful.
lynda
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lynda »

tubs wrote:Sorry was just trying to be helpful.
OH I DIDN'TMEAN TO SOUND CROSS WITH YOU - NOT AT ALL - JUST FED UP WITH O'LEARY WHO KEEPS CHANGING THE GOAL POSTS -SORRY FOR ANY MISUNDERSTANDING AND THANK YOU FOR BEING SO HELPFUL -LYNDA
lyndyloo
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Mr O'Leary

Post by tubs »

We used to be huge fans of his,defending him against all criticism from friends and family but slowly he has made travelling down here more and more difficult and complcated so now we come by train every time. It's far less stressful and more relaxing, admittedly more expensive and a longer journey time, but for us it's worth it. We are lucky, a neighbour collects us from Argeles station to bring us to St Genis.

Ryanairs loss is SNCFs gain!
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

ryanair / stanstead

Post by monsans »

The warning was sent out, don't buy relying on Ryanair as your airport of contact here in France.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I'm beginning to think that the whole business model of low-cost flights is unraveling.

Customers seek the cheapest flight. Airports offer payments to the airlines to get their fligths. Airlines seek the most customers by choosing what they think are popular routes and generous airports. Then the airports remove their subsidies and the airline realises the route was only popular because it was cheap. It's a vicious circle.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
marinamen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ryanair/Girona Airport

Post by marinamen »

Girona Airport is NOT closing in November. Their Winter 2012/13 schedules will be available on their website from the middle of October.
www.aena-aeropuertos.es
Source:Aena Aeropuertos S.A
lynda
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Mr O'Leary

Post by lynda »

tubs wrote:We used to be huge fans of his,defending him against all criticism from friends and family but slowly he has made travelling down here more and more difficult and complcated so now we come by train every time. It's far less stressful and more relaxing, admittedly more expensive and a longer journey time, but for us it's worth it. We are lucky, a neighbour collects us from Argeles station to bring us to St Genis.

Ryanairs loss is SNCFs gain!
I think we will try the train as we can alway stay with my son in London the night before and you can take big suitcases !! Lynda
lyndyloo