London to Perpignan Train

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

frenchiegas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by frenchiegas »

Im looking into the possibility of travelling on the London to Perpignan train next year,via Paris.Ill be travelling with one pretty large holdall.I understand the inter terminus transfer is straightforward either by metro or taxi.
Has anyone done this trip?.Is the inter station transfer easy?Any problems with bulky luggage?
I,d appreciate any advice/tips/comments.
If that had gone in.............it would have been a goal.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

I chose to change at Lille. Very simple, within the same station.

Enjoy. It is a nice trip.

John
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

L. / Perpignan

Post by monsans »

I would also reecommend the changeover at Lille. Happy travelling
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

We've done the London/Perpignan train journey several times via Paris, using the metro (or more specifically RER) interchange between the Gare du Nord and Gare du Lyon. It's not difficult to find or use, but I think you can't avoid flights of stairs.

Don't queue up at the first ticket office you see at GdN for the metro/RER ticket, or the nearby ticket machines, as there often seem to be long queues for both. The further you go towards the metro/RER station, the fewer people there are using the machines (cash or card-operated).

Gare du Lyon was being refurbished last time we passed through (in the Spring) and it can take 10 minutes to find the right bit as you emerge from the metro/RER.

If you've got less than an hour to make the connection, I would definitely suggest using the metro/RER, as queueing for a taxi and then getting stuck in traffic jams could mean cutting things fine, as well as being a lot more expensive.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: London to Perpignan Train

Post by Sav »

frenchiegas wrote:Im looking into the possibility of travelling on the London to Perpignan train next year,via Paris.Ill be travelling with one pretty large holdall.I understand the inter terminus transfer is straightforward either by metro or taxi.
Has anyone done this trip?.Is the inter station transfer easy?Any problems with bulky luggage?
I,d appreciate any advice/tips/comments.
We are looking into travelling this way later this Summer
St Pancras to Perpignan return was £119 each
The added bonus is no extra for baggage & it enables you to see France via a different form of travel
Paris train transfer details here
http://www.seat61.com/Paris-metro.htm#P ... re_de_Lyon...

Cheers Sav :)
Steve
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Steve »

We have been thinking about giving the train journey down a go for quite a while but I can never seem to get a competative price for a ticket.

Which is the best web site to check out?

Steve
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Steve wrote:We have been thinking about giving the train journey down a go for quite a while but I can never seem to get a competative price for a ticket.
Which is the best web site to check out?
Try here Steve, just juggle your dates/times if you can ;)
http://www.raileurope.co.uk/sncf.aspx

Cheers Sav :)
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

Steve, the Seat61 website has a lot of useful info on buying UK/France rail tickets.
mammadee
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mammadee »

We have now done this several times and find it so much more civilised than Ryanair!

The transit across Paris is very straightforward - 2 stops on the RER from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon. There is a bit of a walk between platforms but I manage my holdall (on wheels) without any problem.

RER train are double decked so there are a few steps on to the seating area.

I much prefer the train journey. We are travelling on 19th July so will be able to give more details after that if you need them
Steve
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Steve »

Thanks for the info.

Steve
frenchiegas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by frenchiegas »

Thanks for the info/comments.Not doing the trip until March next year so time for research.Lille looks the easier option,but more expensive.The route via Paris looks a distinct possibillity.
If that had gone in.............it would have been a goal.
GreenHermit
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GreenHermit »

mammadee wrote:We have now done this several times and find it so much more civilised than Ryanair!

The transit across Paris is very straightforward - 2 stops on the RER from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon. There is a bit of a walk between platforms but I manage my holdall (on wheels) without any problem.

RER train are double decked so there are a few steps on to the seating area.

I much prefer the train journey. We are travelling on 19th July so will be able to give more details after that if you need them
You change at Lille and only change platforms, Why the complication of Paris and changing terminals!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
mammadee
Rank 2
Rank 2

London to Perpignan by train

Post by mammadee »

I see a number of people suggesting travel via Lille. We have used this route but on recent occasions have found that the Eurostar arrives after the TGV has left.

I agree it is aless complicated option, but not if you have to spen 23 hours waiting at Lille station!