Speeding ticket

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Speeding ticket

Post by Allan »

I've just received an Avis de Contravention for excess speed on the Autoroute.

I've paid the fine on-line but I am not sure what to do about the licence, the notice says that the offence involves a points deduction. I have a UK licence so I don't believe that they can give me points but it doesn't tell me anything about sending or producing the licence.

Am I missing something or can I expect a subsequent letter?
Cadac

Post by Cadac »

Your loss of points are held centrally, irrespective of who's countries licence you hold. Maybe you should consider a French licence as you live here !
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

There is a government web site where you can check how many points you have. However to register you have to fill in a form on line, they then send you a letter to send to the prefecture with photocopies of your documents. They will then send you your access code by post.

Crazy or what?

Russell.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

You can always hope that there will be chaos before this system comes in, and they wil forget your points. I know a couple of people with foreign licenses who got away with both points and fine, and another who paid the fine but was never followed up on the points.
http://www.anglophone-direct.com/Traffi ... e-to-Spain

Hope you're one of the lucky ones.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

just got done last week for 54kph in a 50kph on the western entry to St Paul de Fenouillet near the Carrefour... i never saw the 'Trap' so be warned this is one of their 'Hiding Places'!!!! (90 euros!!!! even when paying immediately).
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tubs »

Montgolfiere,how long ago did you "speed"? I am sweating a bit as on the way to Villeneuve de la Raho in May I failed to notice a new speed camera at Montescot, close to the golf range and feel that I may have been slightly exceeding the 70kph limit.
I'm not sure if there is the 10% tolerance in france like in the UK and if the authorities have an obligation to inform you within 14 days, again like in the UK.
How much longer do I have to walk to the postbox in fear and trepidation?
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

hi, I've just got a speeding ticket today, apparently on some motorways it is now 110 and not 130! missed the signs at 1 am and saw the flash. I was at 119 which was reduced to 113 instead of 110 and it's 45 euros if I pay within 30 days by bank card on the internet. I don't think it's normal if you have been charged 90 euros, I'd look into it and ask why. ( have had a couple and has always been 45 euros.) I was caught on the 8th of june. you also lose 1 point on your licence ( car's in my sons name for me so might get out of that one!). If the law hasn't changed and you donot lose any more points for a full year you get your point back instead of having to wait 3 years.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

I think that link is not up to date as I have the fine in front of me and the amounts are completely different.68 euros amende forfaitaire- 45 euros if I pay within the 30 day limit. 180 euros if the bill isn't paid after 45 days.
PD

Post by PD »

tia wrote:I think that link is not up to date as I have the fine in front of me and the amounts are completely different.68 euros amende forfaitaire- 45 euros if I pay within the 30 day limit. 180 euros if the bill isn't paid after 45 days.
Tia, that was for montgolfiere's offence, different offences have different fines, a bit like animal's. :lol: :lol:

Here is the full list, for you, choose your prize:

Yours Contravention de classe 3

http://infraction-route.permisapoints.f ... tesse.html

If you have another offence, your fine and points double.

Welcome to France :roll: :roll: :roll:
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

ok, thanks. never have got how they fine you ( although I have no idea how it works in the uk either). I even got fined once when I used my phone whilst stuck in a traffic jam! the car wasn't moving but apparently this is not allowed and you have to park up first, sometimes I think they make it up as they go along.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

tubs wrote:Montgolfiere,how long ago did you "speed"? I am sweating a bit as on the way to Villeneuve de la Raho in May I failed to notice a new speed camera at Montescot, close to the golf range and feel that I may have been slightly exceeding the 70kph limit.
I'm not sure if there is the 10% tolerance in france like in the UK and if the authorities have an obligation to inform you within 14 days, again like in the UK.
How much longer do I have to walk to the postbox in fear and trepidation?
the fine arrived within the week!!! They want their money asap these days....
i think you will be ok from May.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

tia wrote:hi, I've just got a speeding ticket today, apparently on some motorways it is now 110 and not 130! missed the signs at 1 am and saw the flash. I was at 119 which was reduced to 113 instead of 110 and it's 45 euros if I pay within 30 days by bank card on the internet. I don't think it's normal if you have been charged 90 euros, I'd look into it and ask why. ( have had a couple and has always been 45 euros.) I was caught on the 8th of june. you also lose 1 point on your licence ( car's in my sons name for me so might get out of that one!). If the law hasn't changed and you donot lose any more points for a full year you get your point back instead of having to wait 3 years.
it is even 90kph (or less) in some places....eg. Around Toulouse or on the descent on the A75 from the hills at Le Caylar to Lodeve.....
I will just have to be more careful.
PD

Post by PD »

tia wrote:hi, I've just got a speeding ticket today, apparently on some motorways it is now 110 and not 130! missed the signs at 1 am and saw the flash. I was at 119 which was reduced to 113 instead of 110 and it's 45 euros if I pay within 30 days by bank card on the internet. I don't think it's normal if you have been charged 90 euros, I'd look into it and ask why. ( have had a couple and has always been 45 euros.) I was caught on the 8th of june. you also lose 1 point on your licence ( car's in my sons name for me so might get out of that one!). If the law hasn't changed and you donot lose any more points for a full year you get your point back instead of having to wait 3 years.
it is even 90kph (or less) in some places....eg. Around Toulouse or on the descent on the A75 from the hills at Le Caylar to Lodeve.....
I will just have to be more careful.[/quote]

montgolfiere The A 75, Motorway section finishes at the peage, where you quoted it is just normal peripherique carriageway.

Tia,your son gets the points unless he discloses that you were driving, you are not Tia Hune ?. :lol:

France closes down in May, July and August, do not count on the norm.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

yes I know my son gets the point, been negotiating with him as I lost 1 point nearly a year ago so will get my full set back soon if I don't lose this one. I was on the motorway near clermont ferrand and just assumed it was 130 not 110. had got my ticket at the peage so definately motorway.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

PD wrote:
[/quote wrote:
I will just have to be more careful.
montgolfiere The A 75, Motorway section finishes at the peage, where you quoted it is just normal peripherique carriageway.

Tia,your son gets the points unless he discloses that you were driving, you are not Tia Hune ?. :lol:

France closes down in May, July and August, do not count on the norm.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Not all Motorways in France are to pay for 'Peages', but are still classed as motorways and the speed limits can vary from 70 -130 . eg parts of the A20 and A75. The section i am talking about is definitely still classed as an autoroute have a look at the Map!!!
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

This sort of thing does not affect me :roll:
No comments please :lol:

Cheers Sav :)
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Has it anything to do with the hare and the tortoise?
Dylan
Dimetrodon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dimetrodon »

I seem to have cars screaming past me or glued to my bumper and yet I still managed to pick up two fines in the last couple of years. I can only assume the locals have some sort of deal going on because they do not drive with the same caution as me for sure.
Its one thing getting there, its another getting back.
www.powerblogtactics.com
www.andy-beveridge.com
Pichicuy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Pichicuy »

If you get points, you are supposed to change to a French licence. In fact you technically should have a French licence if you are resident in France regardless.

I have a friend who had the gendarmes turn up on her doorstep telling her she had to change her licence because of points. I think they are cracking down on this.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Sue wrote:Has it anything to do with the hare and the tortoise?
I may be a tortoise, but at least i get to admire the scenery :lol:

Cheers Sav :)