Ryanair restrictions

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Ryanair restrictions

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

I have forgotten what can be allowed as hand luggage on the flights, i.e the liquids etc, is it that you are allowed to carry 100ml of liquids in the clear bags, can't find it on the Ryanair site, my sister has just bought some 100ml perfume but wondered if she can take that back in her hand luggage.

Cheers.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Copy/pasted from Ryanair site

New European Union cabin baggage security restrictions were implemented on all flights to and from EU/EEA airports. Consequently, from this date, passenger cabin baggage containing any liquids, gels, pastes, lotions or liquid cosmetics MUST be presented at the airport passenger security point in a transparent re-sealable bag of no more than one litre capacity (e.g. 20cm x 20cm ziplock freezer bag). Only gels, pastes, lotions and liquid cosmetics in containers of 100mls or less will be permitted through the passenger security screening points at all EU/EEA Airports, please note there is a limit of one transparent resealable plastic bag per person.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

thanks Sue xx
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Helen

Make sure that any scent you wish to bring is bought from the duty-free!
My niece had to jettison the bottle of Chanel 19 bought from a shop, which she'd intended to be my Xmas present!
Maybe the security officer on duty that day was feeling pig-headed (!) but do MAKE SURE if your sister will be allowed to bring a GLASS bottle acquired outside the airport...
:(
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

I brought a new glass bottle of perfume through last week, and no comment was made. But then, no-one even asked me to show them my bag of liquids. They can see it all on the x-ray though. We did the full body-scan at Manchester, so I should think they were on their mettle
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

ah, its her new 100ml bottle of Channel no5 she has just bought, maybe best if I take it to the UK in Feb.. :?

Thanks for your replies.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

That sounds against the rules Helen. But then the security staff at some airports, Stansted in particular, can be officious little gits.

One of them reprimanded my friend for "holding everyone up" because his things were sitting in his tray while he was repeatedly scanned, even though it was obvious to me that the scanner was picking up the rivet on his jeans.

The liquids thing annoys me because no-one has ever actually tried to take them onto a plane in order to make a bomb. It all stemmed from an alleged terrorist website where the possibility of creating a bomb from liquids was discussed. I think the whole thing has been cooked up to force people to buy overpriced drinks and cosmetics in the departure lounge and on flights.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lanark Lass »

Anyone know what happens to items confiscated at security? Has anyone either requested that their items be kept at the airport until their return, for instance - or do the goods always become the property of the security staff?
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Santiago, you even have to buy Evian water in the departure lounge - you can't take your own plastic bottle (albeit unopened) through Security!

What indeed happens to property that has been relinquished? I bet some Security Officer's mistress is enjoying my precious scent!

Helen
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

On t'other side of the coin, Edinburgh security once caught me accidentally trying to take a penknife on board. They supplied the envelope, I had the stamps and one of them volunteered to post it to me. And did so. But this was long before all the 100ml liquid business..
Mimmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

empty bottles

Post by Mimmi »

I always take an empty plastic bottle through security, not only in Girona also in other airports in Europe. Nobody has ever stopped me doing that.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

We always take an empty plastic bottle when we leave from Stansted.
Then we fill it up free from the water fountain when we are airside.
Never could get my head around paying for water
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Santiago wrote:The liquids thing annoys me because no-one has ever actually tried to take them onto a plane in order to make a bomb.
Maybe not but it is certainly possible. I don't understand this 100 ml thing though. I can certainly think of one explosive that would be capable of taking down a plane in less than 100 ml quantity.

The best solution I've seen was in China where the security man asked me to open my water bottle, sniffed it, and asked me to drink some of it!

Russell.
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tubs »

Oh Polremy, I thought I was the only one to do the "empty bottle, water fountain" routine at Stansted! Now everyone knows our secret!

However be careful on the size of your plastic bag! Mine was confiscated recently for being 2 inches too long! I kid you not! It was a clear, sealable freezer bag, ive used them before with no problem. Thankfully it contained only a tiny jar of Vaseline 10ml (well below the 100ml,decanted from a large jar) a free sample of eye cream,10ml and a tiny half full bottle of Rescue Remedy. I remonstrated with the girl about the size of the bag but she said the rules stated it must be a certain size and "rules are rules" She told me I could purchase one of their bags if I wanted to, which i most certainly didn't. I'm afraid I reacted in a most unladylike manner and told her where she could stick my bag and the contents!!!!!!!
Another jobsworth with no common sense!
andyscotuk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by andyscotuk »

rogb wrote:On t'other side of the coin, Edinburgh security once caught me accidentally trying to take a penknife on board. They supplied the envelope, I had the stamps and one of them volunteered to post it to me. And did so. But this was long before all the 100ml liquid business..
Edinburgh Airport is the best - we had 150ml of skinsosoft and they allowed us to buy 100ml bottles and decant them to take them on board. Stansted is the worst - I had a plastic flashing light sabre bought in Carcassone and Stansted staff took it off me " as it resembled a sword". It was a present for my son. You can buy the 100 ml bottles at boots and I use them a lot to decant from larger bottles saving quite a bit of money.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Santiago wrote:
The liquids thing annoys me because no-one has ever actually tried to take them onto a plane in order to make a bomb. It all stemmed from an alleged terrorist website where the possibility of creating a bomb from liquids was discussed. I think the whole thing has been cooked up to force people to buy overpriced drinks and cosmetics in the departure lounge and on flights.
There was a very serious plot that was days away from being carried out, there were multiple arrests including the planner behind the plot in Pakistan who subsequently 'escaped'.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

andyscotuk wrote:
rogb wrote:On t'other side of the coin, Edinburgh security once caught me accidentally trying to take a penknife on board. They supplied the envelope, I had the stamps and one of them volunteered to post it to me. And did so. But this was long before all the 100ml liquid business..
Edinburgh Airport is the best - we had 150ml of skinsosoft and they allowed us to buy 100ml bottles and decant them to take them on board. Stansted is the worst - I had a plastic flashing light sabre bought in Carcassone and Stansted staff took it off me " as it resembled a sword". It was a present for my son. You can buy the 100 ml bottles at boots and I use them a lot to decant from larger bottles saving quite a bit of money.
I am a bit confused by that . If you bought the "sword" was bought in Carcassonne, I assume you flew from that airport to go to stanstead, so why would staff at stanstead take the "sword " off you when you had already flown?
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Allan wrote:
Santiago wrote:
There was a very serious plot that was days away from being carried out, there were multiple arrests including the planner behind the plot in Pakistan who subsequently 'escaped'.
I've just watched "Die Hard With a Vengence" so now I know where they got the idea. It's all Jeremy Irons' fault!
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Santiago wrote:
I've just watched "Die Hard With a Vengence" so now I know where they got the idea. It's all Jeremy Irons' fault!

Have a look at this:-

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/vid ... -plot.html
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Thanks Allen. That looks a great website.
Unfortunately while waiting for the Liquid Bomb video to load, I got distracted by the Playboy Party Bodypainting one :)
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lanark Lass »

So what happens to the confiscated items - anyone know?