UK based car insurance but valid in EU for more than 2 month

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

UK based car insurance but valid in EU for more than 2 month

Post by rhys »

Dear All

Presently renewing my UK residence based car insurance.

Have a number of quotes from ComparetheMarket, cheapest being £242.

However the standard appears to be a maximum of 2 months coverage in EU, whereas I wish to spend possibly up to 6 months of the year in France. I have called a few of them to discuss an add-on but 'Computer says No' is the answer.

Anyone with experience of arranging such insurance ?

I will not be attempting to register my car in France [ life too short for that palaver again. ]

All sensible suggestions welcome. 8)
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Perhaps Heading "Travel" sub heading "French/English Car Insurance" may help but then again maybe not!!
Dylan
sp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sp »

If you are over 50 try SAGA, they will cover you all year in uk or abroad
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

we had full annual cover for abroad with esure.com
Debbie and Noel

Post by Debbie and Noel »

I recently transfer a UK registered car to French plates. I thought the process was quite straightforward. There are major advantages if you run on French plates. No road tax and a CT only every two years. Your insurance includes a green card automatically. Against this you have to consider the potential cost of getting a certificate of conformity (not usually a problem if you bought the car from new), the length of time you intend to keep the vehicle, the possible cost of converting the headlights, and the administration charges.

Noel