French / English Car Insurance.

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

jecjcr
Rank 1
Rank 1

French / English Car Insurance.

Post by jecjcr »

We are considering the purchase of a vehicle (English) to use in the UK for the winter and France in the summer.

Does anyone know if there is a UK insurer that will allow more than 90 days EU use?

Ideally we need 7 months French and 5 months English.

Any input welcomed.
John & Jane
Bagshot & Prades
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

SAGA do over 90 days EU Insurance.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

European car insurance

Post by TOM AND BARB »

Hi,

Have sent you a pm.

If anyone else needs 365 days a year insurance for a UK based car please pm me.

Thanks

T&B
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Surely, if you are going to use it in France 7 months a year it should be registered and insured in France? That has the advantage of no annual tax to be paid.

Russell.
TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Car Insurance

Post by TOM AND BARB »

Hi Russell,

Not necessarily.

eg : my car spends a lot of time at Gerona airport car park so do I register it in France or Spain ?

or if common sense prevails just leave it insured in the UK and avoid all the hassle and cost of changing registration and having to re register it back when you want to sell the vehicle as nobody in France wants a RHD car.

ok it has to go back to the UK for its MOT but most people do take their car back for long periods so get the timing right and it works out nicely. I'm not suggesting using this insurance for a car kept in France the whole year but for periods longer than 90 days.

My car stays on the continent for 6-7 months max.

Anyone interested please pm me for details.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

I think it depends on whether the 7 months a year is continuous or on different trips. As I understand it it is illegal to use a car on UK plates for more than 6 months. You are unlikely to be caught but if you are it could be expensive!

Best to check at the Prefecture I think.

Russell.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

russell wrote:I think it depends on whether the 7 months a year is continuous or on different trips. As I understand it it is illegal to use a car on UK plates for more than 6 months. You are unlikely to be caught but if you are it could be expensive!

Best to check at the Prefecture I think.

Russell.
Saga say unlimited stay, unlimited travel, as we have used them.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

car insurance

Post by TOM AND BARB »

Hi all,

As stated previously.My car spends quite a bit of time in Spain at Gerona airport plus any day trip into Spain with the car technically breaks any 6 month continuous stay in France.I travel into Spain fairly frequently during my visits.
As my car is only on the continent 6-7 months in total anyway, it definately does not spend 6 continuous months in France.

Hope that finally clarifies things.

I repeat if anyone is interested in 365 day a year cover in the EU please pm me for details.
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

anything cheaper than £403 from groupama - ??

Post by rhys »

i have similar issue - based in uk but wanting ability to keep car in Argel`es for up to six months April to Sept.

Best quote I have at the moment is £403 from Groupama [ via Adrian Flux ].
plus £54 add on for breakdown cover.

Current ins runs out in one week so need to decide.

Anyone have any cheaper suggestions ?? Thanks.
TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Car Ins

Post by TOM AND BARB »

Have now moved my insurance to SAGA who offer 365 day euro cover.

The other company I was advocating have now raised their premiums considerably so SAGA were offering an extra 10% discount for new business so went with them.

Try them online.
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rhys »

Several sources recommended SAGA so I spent the usual time filling in all the stuff on the website pages, only eventually to end up being put through to their non standard [ or something ] Department as my car is a Japanese direct-imported Toyota [ one of the most reliable, rugged cars there is - see the Jeremy Clarkson programme which features it being dropped from a great height and then still working ].

Result 'Computer says NO' again for the purposes of anything longer than 2 months abroad.

Eventually Footman James / AON Ltd have come up with a quote giving 365 days coverage throughout EU, incl breakdown cover at £414.

I don't think I can spend any more time trying to better that.

8) 8)