transporting car back to England

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

transporting car back to England

Post by rhys »

Is there a transporter company that will load a car and transport it to England ? [ Basingstoke in this case.]
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

I suppose you've trawled t'internet, but anyway, how about this one?

http://www.carstoeurope.co.uk/
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rhys »

Thanks for website.

I have requested a quote but I see that their minimum is £500.

I was hoping to get it back up to Uk for a lot less than that - maybe half.

Maybe someone who needs to transport boxes of stuff ( there is a lot of room in the back of a Surf, esp with the back seats down ) might be interested to drive it up for me, with me paying diesel and ferry.

That is how it came down here in the first place.
jasonebury
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jasonebury »

Hi,

We use a couple of drivers to deliver and collect cars in France, as long as you can insure the driver on your car i'm sure one of them can help.

Jason
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Just be aware that if the car is UK registered it needs a valid tax disk to get it into the UK, otherwise it will need to be taken by transporter.

We had that issue with our UK car and found it was a lot easier to sell it down here to someone willing to have it reregistered as French.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rhys »

Well it is interesting you say that as I was wondering.

I was assuming that if I ( as I intend/ed to do ) pre-arrange an MOT test for the date of arrival at Portsmouth, and have an email to that effect from the garage, that I can just drive straight to the garage with that doc as my laissez-passer.

But I have heard a tale of someone's car being confiscated on arrival - anyone have direct experience of this ?
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rhys »

PS - I would be more than willing to have the car re-registered as French but I've only got one life and have already wasted far too much time trying to achieve this - so much for EU standardization and whatnot.

If anyone knows anyone who provides the service of getting the re-registration done ( for a reasonable price ) please do advise. the car is old but has plenty of life left in it ( a Toyota Hilux Surf imported direct from Japan in 2004 ) and I have no desire to scrap it either here or in UK.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Contact
Ajay@AlliedVehicleServices.co.uk

They could have it driven back and possibly use plated drivers where necessary in the uk.

John
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rhys »

Allied Vehicles Services would charge £2,000.

Not quite what I had in mind. :(
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

car england

Post by Sue »

I am not going to be very helpful because I cant remember the name but there is a company's website you go onto and then transporter firms will bid for the job. Just had a brainstorm, think its Shipleys. Thats the trouble with being over 60 things come and go!!
Dylan
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

If it is a RHD and automatic I could drive it back at the end of September.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Shiply's is worth trying. I could drive it back but don't know when I could get down there, possibly late summer / autumn.

John
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands