Where the best place for a novice skier to go?

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

caroline postlethwaite
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by caroline postlethwaite »

We have got into skiing recently & enjoyed Pyrenees 2000. Where do you recommend for gentle long slopes with lovely scenary?
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

We like Les Angles....good long green runs ideal for beginners
pfrancis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pfrancis »

I agree, good station for beginners. If at all possible try to avoid the french school holidays as it gets very busy indeed. I asked them the other day what their busiest period is and they replied 14-21 February.
Paul.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Les Angles is lovely for families.

Slightly further afield are Arinsal and Arcalis in the Vall Nord in Andorra.

The French school holidays are 13 Feb until 1 March so, as Paul says, anytime outside of these two weeks is preferable.
caroline postlethwaite
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by caroline postlethwaite »

Thanks for that. It seems most people prefere Les Angles.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Caroline
Font-Romeu which is included with the Pyrenees 2000 is enourmous and for a family, it is great place to learn. F-R has the best schools are kids, as well as adults. For a beginning group, I would spend most of the lesson there. I think that they used to have English classes too.

I ski at other places, in fact most of the places here and I stiil like Font-Romeu for some pistes (Record). Les Angles is great for the steep areas too. But when the snow turns to slush, it's slow skiing down to the parking area.

Check the prices too. This will give some thoughts too.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

Beginner Skiing

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Font Romeu has some great green runs for beginners but as you progress you will soon find it limiting. As others have said, Les Angles has some great runs which after a few days you will be able to ski, even from the top to the bottem of the resort. The easy runs in LA face to the east so do tend to have better snow than the easy runs in FR which face south. FR has some great black runs that you will enjoy as you get better but I do find the skiing there a bit limited.
Once you have had a few days skiing and if you plan to ski in the half term break then try Puyvalador. It is normally quieter and has some nice long green and blue runs from the top although the lift system is a bit vintage!!
Jenny Rhodes - Mountain Mamma
Pyrenean Trails
Mountain Mama