Where to Film an Interview in Port Vendres?

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

RichM_Filming
Rank 0
Rank 0

Where to Film an Interview in Port Vendres?

Post by RichM_Filming »

Hello, All

Warm regards to your pleasant and informative message board!

I'll be heading down to Port Vendres in April to film an interview with a resident. I'm keen to do much of it outdoors, in vineyards or around the old military emplacements.

But I'm also looking for a nice, interior space; just in case it rains!

Does anybody have any suggestions? Perhaps a hotel with a conference room, a gallery, a museum, or otherwise?

Of course, recommendations for interesting outdoors spots are also very welcome.

I'll be exploring the area for a few days before the interview. Can't wait, PV looks gorgeous!

Very Best

Rich
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Where to Film an Interview in Port Vendres?

Post by martyn94 »

RichM_Filming wrote:Hello, All

Warm regards to your pleasant and informative message board!

Does anybody have any suggestions? Perhaps a hotel with a conference room, a gallery, a museum, or otherwise?

Very Best

Rich
Try the tourist office, here
http://www.port-vendres.com/index.php.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Isn't there a big oyster bar down in the port? Can't remember what it's called. Catalanes something.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Santiago wrote:Isn't there a big oyster bar down in the port? Can't remember what it's called. Catalanes something.
There's a staggeringly expensive fish shop, here

http://www.cotecatalane.com

just redeveloped 100m short of where the criée used to be, at the far end of the quay on the LHS. Almost none of their fish, so far as I can tell, comes from within a few hundred kms of here, and they have a vast "deli" selection comprised of overpriced tat. None of which is their fault: if the place has been fished out, I guess you make your living how you can.

There is an oyster bar upstairs. It has a view of the port.

PS: their tinned fish soup (made somewhere up the coast, but sold under their brand name) is quite OK, for tinned soup.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I have actually seen fish come straight off the boats into their depot, so while I cant actually vouch for all the fish as being local, some of it certainly is.
I rather like it there, it's colourful and stinky, a kind of upmarket fish market, and the oyster bar is fun.
Last year, chatting with the owner of the Tramontane over moules frites, I was really surprised when he told that that very little of his fish and sea food came from PV, or in many cases even France. Too expensive he said. The fish for sail by fishermen on the quai is for the tourists!! :roll:
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

[quote="Kate"]
I rather like it there, it's colourful and stinky, a kind of upmarket fish market, and the oyster bar is fun.
[/quote]

It's certainly a good deal better than nothing: it's hard to resist eating fish when you can see the sea, even if you can guess that it's from miles away and possibly frozen.

I tend to buy mine from the José-Maria Gabriel, apparently the last trawler working out of PV - they sell retail out of a small hut on the seaward end of quai Forgas, from about 1630 every day, Monday to Friday. Not cheap either, but certainly local and fresh, and the skipper has a sideline in work experience for troubled youths, according to L'Indep.

But the catches are hardly impressive: what they sell as "gros rougets" are like biggish sardines, though delicious. Incidentally, the café at the end of rue Jules Pams (i.e. the continuation of quai Forgas, past the mairie) has a deal offering six very decent oysters and a glass of wine for €7: it makes a very acceptable second breakfast on market day.
Last edited by martyn94 on Wed 22 Nov 2017 11:15, edited 2 times in total.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Kate wrote: Last year, chatting with the owner of the Tramontane over moules frites, I was really surprised when he told that that very little of his fish and sea food came from PV, or in many cases even France. Too expensive he said. The fish for sail by fishermen on the quai is for the tourists!! :roll:
Judging by the delivery lorries you see up and down the quay, a lot of it is frozen (which is not a tragedy), and the rest from Spain (I guess Roses). A couple of the restaurants make a thing of buying some fish from the inshore boats ("petits métiers") who also sell directly on the quay as you say, but only I suspect a very small percentage of the restaurants' throughput. I always find that their stuff looks a bit grey and sad. It's no doubt lack of skill on my part, but undersized sea bream don't float my boat (as it were). It's a fatal combination of not at all cheap, and not very interesting. I'd rather get some mackerel from the trawler I mentioned above.