Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

marcwilson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Visiting Rivesaltes Camp

Post by marcwilson »

Hello,
I am going to be in the area soon and am wondering whether it is still possible to visit and access the site of the Rivesaltes camp whilst the Memorial construction is going on?
Thank you very much for any help.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hi Marc
Here is an article about the camp. The Memorial is to be opened officially later this year, but as far as I know you can still visit the former barracks.
http://www.anglophone-direct.com/Rivesa ... ial-Museum?
marcwilson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by marcwilson »

Hi Kate,

Thank you very much for that link. It is one of the many I have found!
I assume there will still be access as the site is much larger than the memorial of course but am trying to make sure before I book my trip.
Hopefully someone here or in reply to various emails I have sent will be able to confirm this for me.
Best wishes,
Marc
BT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Rivesaltes Camp

Post by BT »

We visited the camp last September, there is a slip road on the right quite near the monuments. We were able to enter a number of the crumbling barrack buildings.

There is also a monument in memory the people who were interred on the beach in St Cyprien. Rue Eugene Delacroix.

BT
marcwilson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by marcwilson »

Thanks BT. I'm sure it should be fine also. I'm in contact with someone at memorial office but its all quite slow. Hopefully I'll get a definitive answer on Monday as I am also asking about one of the blocks there in particular (K12) and then I can book my travel.
Marc