snake

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

CarolineN
Rank 3
Rank 3

snake

Post by CarolineN »

Hi i have a snake in my garden which has disapeared into the bushes I took a photograph before it slithered away, and wonder if anyone could identify the snake for me ? I have dogs and cats, so am a little wary of this uninvited visitor! Thanks
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

We need someone to take on the mantle of lovely Roger O, RIP, who was the most knowledgeable person on nature matters, particularly snakes and other reptiles. He was also one of the kindest men I've ever met
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Are we going to see this serpent? To a great extent, the snakes around our area is a common grass snake. They do become large though, sometimes close to 1 1/2 meters. It's a couleuvre.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=&hl=f ... 0QXEqoCgDg

This should give you some variations of this snake. Click on the viper version~I think it's not a nice guy but the others will keep the moles from putting holes in your grass.

I wouldn't worry about your snake-he will be a good neighbor.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Pighunter »

Please send me a picture and I should be able to identify it for you.

Grass snakes are generally large and olive green in colour and have a black and yellow band around their necks.

Adders are much smaller, brown and have diamond shapes on their backs.

I have also seen a lot of slow worms here, they are legless lizards who have evolved with their legs inside them and unlike snakes have eyelids.

steve@rebweb.co.uk
Caroline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Caroline »

Last October I saw what I think is described as a Coulevre slither out from under the hedge by the pool and it raised its head up and then chased and caught a passing frog. I didn't know frogs could scream and it was all pretty disgusting. I still worry when the dog chases a ball into the hedge and expects me to retrieve it but I don't think the snake is big enough to go for anything much larger than frog-sized prey. The only other snake I have seen in the region was in the rocks around Lac Raho on the warm sunny day a few weeks ago.
Caroline
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Walking through the vines you can often find snakes on sunny days in the spring. They come out to the sun but will run back into their holes if you head towards them.

Watch when you're walking there, since you might find them laying on the paths.

My two Labs passed adjacent a coiled coulevre but neither dog even noticed the snake. The snake itself didn't bother the dogs, as long at they were just passing along on the path.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.