hunting

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

homemaker
Rank 1
Rank 1

hunting

Post by homemaker »

We have just arrived with our 2 dogs, one of whom has become a trembling wimp hiding under the table at the sound of gunshot. As we are on the coast at Barcares I am concerned at what he will be like if we attempt to go for a walk anywhere remotely rural. Can anybody advise how long the season lasts, whether there are any precautions to follow - I may become a bit anxious myself if there is buckshot whizzing past my ears, and how if at all possible we manage to avoid the hunt. Thanks and apologies for sounding like the English townie that I am.
cufc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cufc »

As far as I know they can only hunt at weekend and on Wednesdays so you should be ok to go walking at other times. Know what you mean though-and ours is a supposedly hunting dog!! German Shorthaired wimp-but we love her.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

If they are shooting the vineyards then it is normally only for a few weeks
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

i have the same problem with one of my dogs and in my experience this goes on until march time , however the early season novelty does seem to die down with the winter closing in.we walk the dogs around a public lake close to villelongue del monts and it seems there are no rules as to what is shot and where they shoot it.it has been known for a gun to off from 10yrds behind some bamboo and even shot landing on the car.
the only safe place this time of year for the dogs is the beach and even then i have seen hunters less than 50yrds from the sand.the only bonus is the sound off the waves masks the sound of the gun and the dogs dont get spooked.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

I was always told to wear Red when out walking with the dog, and the dog have a red scarf or collar around their neck. Be careful.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Am I right to think that 'chasse garde' is the hunt warden, checking out the scene?
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Garde-chasse. "Chasse gardée" = hands off.
RF.
homemaker
Rank 1
Rank 1

hunting

Post by homemaker »

Thanks for all the advice. By coincidence there was an article in L'indendant this week about a jogger who was shot last weekend. This morning we were woken at 6am by the sounds of gunfire -presumably the hunters are equipped with night vision.

I have now managed to locate arrete prefectoral no 2011 which advises that the season runs from 11 September 2011 to 29/02/2012. There are specific requirements for each district and species, but generally hunting is permitted on all days except Tuesday and Friday. There is an exception though for pest control which can be undertaken on any day. The arrete also lays down safety precautions which includes the requirement to put up signs which must be removed after the hunt.

We were going to go for a walk on Wednesday on Cap Leucate and checked first at the Marie. The receptionist didn't have details of any local hunting but she rang the tourist office for us who advised her to contact the police who confirmed that a hunt was scheduled for that day.

We will proceed with caution.
CATALAN66
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CATALAN66 »

we were walking along last Monday night and heard a very angry strong grunting noise from the bushes, only a couple of mtrs from us, obviously we hiked it . This is the 2nd time a sanglier has been washed out of the mountain into our village rrr , scared the hell out of us .
CATALAN66
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CATALAN66 »

mushroom picker was shot and killed by a hunter yesterday !!!!.
was with my son the last couple of weekends walking about searching , could be anyone rrrr
Hector
Rank 0
Rank 0

what do you think?

Post by Hector »

Found a place on the lake that is holding about 2000 birds.i have scouted it since the wma's froze over and know it like the back of my hand. its a ways out there but i know i could get set up in the right spot. however im not sure i have the right spread to compete with that many birds. I have about 100 floaters and 12 full bodies (mallards and pintail.) i also have about 70 goose decoys. 30 fb's and 40 shells. do you think it is worth hauling out the goose decoys or just the ducks. cant make up my mind.

Thanks,
Last edited by Hector on Sat 14 Jan 2012 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

oh, no doubt in my mind. Haul out the goose decoys...
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

and the ducks! Couldnt be doing with the wma's freezing over though, the floaters would get stuck in the ice!!
Dylan
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Are you still talking about Florida Hector?
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Anyway, back to hunting in the 66.

What are the rules surrounding where hunters can go and where they can shoot? I was out pruning last week and my dog was running about in another field that I own when a hunter popped up in the middle and started shooting (at rabbits, not the dog, but even so). The vineyards have signs saying Reserve de Chasse but can they just go onto any land that does not have crops?
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Reply just to bump it up.

I find it difficult to find the actual law.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Some info;

http://www.frenchflavour.co.uk/frenchli ... france.htm

http://www.french-property.com/guides/f ... ng-rights/

I wasn't aware of one not being able to hunt in a crop in France; some crops are specifically planted to attract game.....I imagine that is by negotiation of the farmer/landowner, they couldn't damage crops without permission but they may have been specifically planted so I wouldn't run my own dog through crops and presume all was fine; you may find a not very happy hunter at the other end.

I also think and may again be wrong that contrary to the posts that France is the only country in which (during the season) one can hunt any day of the week. Most country's do not allow a Sunday; like the UK.

Also in reply to an above post night time hunting is common in the UK too and is often do with the use of lamps, hence the term 'lamping'.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

my brother in law has reserve de chasse on all of his land, he told me that with the signs up the hunters are not allowed on there, if they do then he can throw them off. He hunts himself and is fed up of all the rabbits but got fed up of them missing the rabbits and hitting the horses! Not sure about what days you are allowed to hunt, around my area it is mainly wednesdays and weekends.