petit train jaune

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

oiesauvage
Rank 1
Rank 1

petit train jaune

Post by oiesauvage »

hi folks information gathering once more :-) can someone point me to a site or link where I will be able to get all the information I need including tariffs for the petit train jaune, also will be going with two kids so if anyone has any recommendations about how to actually use the train in terms of stop-offs etc I'd really appreciate it - I don't know if its me or them but I cannot find all the info I need just the times from Perpignan etc - no prices - thanks yet again !
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

edann42
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by edann42 »

Excuse my ignorance, but is the trip as good as its cracked up to be..????? :? :? :?
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

I drove up there last year as far as Font Romeu on the road which is mostly parallel with the railway line and found the scenery to be be spectacular.It is not so easy to view the scenery and watch the road so I think I'll try the train next time !!
hamyat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hamyat »

We went on the trip a few years ago with our 3 children and the scenery was stunning - a truly memorable excursion.
cufc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cufc »

The scenery is good but I'd suggest you just go as far as Mont Louis then get off to let the kids stretch their legs, have a picnic up near the Commandos Centre-maybe see them doing exercises-or a lunch in one of the little restaurants then get the next train or a bus back.

The train actually goes from Villefranche though it connects with ordinary ones from Perps at times.

It is very rattley and noisey so once is usually enough! We just take visitors to the station now and pick them up later!!

Also get the kids to spot the spooky burnt out old hotel at the end of a valley below the line.
graham34
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by graham34 »

The most spectacular section is between Fontpédreuse and La Cabanasse - wooded deep valley with meadows above. Did a memorable walk back in May. Drove to Fontpédreuse and caught a train to La Cabanasse, then walked back to Fontpédreuse down the valley - but be warned, there is some uphill as well. Shade for much of the way is nice plus some spectacular views of the suspension bridge (my photo below).

You can buy a ticket on the train, but booking in advance may be a good idea at this time of year (August).

Fishing8
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fishing8 »

Can anybody recommend the train touristique from Rivesaltes to Axat?
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Fishing8 wrote:Can anybody recommend the train touristique from Rivesaltes to Axat?
Yes :D
If you go on your Birthday it's free ;)

Cheers Sav :)
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

graham34 wrote:Did a memorable walk back in May. Drove to Fontpédreuse and caught a train to La Cabanasse, then walked back to Fontpédreuse down the valley - but be warned, there is some uphill as well. Shade for much of the way is nice plus some spectacular views of the suspension bridge
That looks like a great walk Graham :)
Where can i obtain details please ?

Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

Little Train

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

The train is a lovely way to see the beautiful country but beware if you are thinking of getting off to walk into some of the towns along the way. The train line is quite some distance from places like Font Romeu and St Thomas Le Bain.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

That would no doubt suit Sav down to the ground Jenny!!
Dylan
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Sue wrote:That would no doubt suit Sav down to the ground Jenny!!
You know me too well :lol:

graham34
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by graham34 »

Sav wrote:
That looks like a great walk Graham :)
Where can i obtain details please ?

Came from the book Le Languedoc-Roussillon... à pied
There's a bit more info here and here
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

graham34 wrote: Came from the book Le Languedoc-Roussillon... à pied
There's a bit more info here and here
Many thanks ;)

Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

Walks

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Sav

Let me know if you would like any info on walks in the Capcir/Cedagne.
I would be happy to let you have the details.

Cheers
Mike Rhodes
Mountain Mama
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Walks

Post by Sav »

Jenny Rhodes wrote: Let me know if you would like any info on walks in the Capcir/Cedagne.
I would be happy to let you have the details.
I'm allways on the lookout for walks in the area
Many thanks Mike :D

Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Steve&Julie »

Yes its a great day out but when we went there were enormous queues to get tickets. The way it works is that they only sell for the train that is waiting, when its full you have to wait in the queue for the next one. That means you can be waiting for a long time! You can't buy tickets in advance for the next journey then go away and get a coffee. Our advice would be to get there early don't expect to get the train you went for, and be prepared (with water etc.) to wait. There is a toilet available and it wasn't hard to park (surprisingly). There is also a very nice cafe/bar with food etc. once you have your ticket. I agree Mont Louis is a good place to get off at if going from Villefranche de Conflent, the village is just big enough to get round in the couple of hours you have before the return journey (don't leave it to the last one or you might not get back if its full). The village is about a 20 minute walk uphill so wear trainers. On the way we got the 'open' train but an inside carriage. I wouldn't have wanted to go in a completely open carriage as the train stops for quite long periods and the people looked like they were frying! There is no water or toilet on the the trains and you can't go between carriages, once your're on you're on. If you go in an inside carriage on the open train try to sit at the end of the carriage where there is an 'open ' section at the end which is lovely to stand in. People do tend to move around the carriages taking photos out the windows (which go right down) and it was a lovely day (apart from the queue).